• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get ACaslon and AGaramond to appear correctly in the Font Menu?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on a PC, ACaslon and AGaramond (opentype) appear on the font list separate from their Bold/SemiBold counterparts.  I have read the release info and understand this is not a unique issue, but this quirk hampers usability.  I'd like to be able to select "Bold" and for the Regular/Roman to then appear with the actual Bold version of the font, not the "Fake Bold" created by MS Word.  It is too tedious to go back and change every word I want to be Bold by actually changing the font to ACaslon/AGaramond Bold.  Is there a way to fix this so that when I select ACaslon/AGaramond, I can simply hit Ctrl + B and get the "True Bold"?  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The only “way around that” is to explicitly choose AGaramond Bold.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such “fix” available unless you were to modify the fonts themselves, which we would stronly urge against.

The issue is one of taste and design as well as the limitations of how Windows GDI applications (i.e., not graphic arts software such as Adobe Creative Suite applications) deal with fonts.

The designers of these particular fonts believe that the semibold style faces are more appropriate for bolding from the regular style faces than the bold style faces.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.  I understand re ACaslon, but I'm working with fonts installed from Adobe Creative Suite, which does not include the SemiBold derivatives of AGaramond.  So I'm stuck with two Font Menu listings (AGaramond and AGaramond Bold) and only Fake Bold -- not even True SemiBold -- if I choose AGaramond Regular.  Is there a way around that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Windows version of MS Word, in order to get the "true Bold" you first need to select the Regular and then push the B button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that doesn't work.  I get the fake bold pushing the B button with Regular.  Works fine on a Mac, not w/Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the versions of the fonts?

What is the version of MS Word?

What is the version of Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only “way around that” is to explicitly choose AGaramond Bold.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines