• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does workstation licensing work in Font Folio?

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, everyone;

I am looking for a font licensing solution for freelancers contracted with my company. I need to be able to license their workstationfor the duration of the time that they are working on a project, and then revoke the license so that another freelancer can use the fonts instead.

• Does Font Folio work well for this?
  • Can licenses be assigned and revoked easily, or is it a drawn out ordeal?
  • Is FontFolio included with Creative Cloud membership?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Matthew-

It depends upon the number of seats you have purchased.  If you have a 5, 10 or 20-pack, then you can allow the contractor to use one of those seats, provided you have a seat that is free (meaning that no one else in your company is using it.)  You cannot split up fonts and use them across multiple contractors or multiple people in your company.  In other words, while a contractor is using Font Folio, that seat, or any other fonts from that seat cannot be used by anyone else.

More import

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matthew-

It depends upon the number of seats you have purchased.  If you have a 5, 10 or 20-pack, then you can allow the contractor to use one of those seats, provided you have a seat that is free (meaning that no one else in your company is using it.)  You cannot split up fonts and use them across multiple contractors or multiple people in your company.  In other words, while a contractor is using Font Folio, that seat, or any other fonts from that seat cannot be used by anyone else.

More importantly, the EULA does not allow for redistribution of fonts.  So you need to be sure that all fonts from Font Folio are removed from the workstation once the contractor is no longer employed by you or your company.  If they aren’t, then you have technically redistributed the fonts and will be out of compliance with the license.

Font Folio doesn’t work particularly well for this because of the sheer number of fonts you make available to the contractor and the difficulty in tracking them.  The license for Font Folio is to you only, so the onus is on you to remain in legal compliance.

Finally, Font Folio is not part of Creative Cloud.  Font Folio is a complete library of over 2800 fonts and is available in its smallest form (5 seat license) at a suggested retail price of $2999.00.

Caleb

Type Product Management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Caleb, that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caleb, is this a change in policy from the past?

Maybe ten years ago the company that I worked for bought the Adobe Font Folio. They wanted to purchase enough licenses to also cover a company located about two blocks away (these two companies are owned by the same company). Adobe told us that the licenses were tied to the physical address of the company that purchased the fonts, so what we wanted to do was not allowed. Was that true then? Has it changed sinced then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom-

A parent company can purchase Font Folio and distribute to subsidiaries as long as the number of users doesn't exceed the number granted by the license. Example:  If your parent company purchases a 20-user license of Font Folio, they can then provide a copy of Font Folio to 10 users in Subsidiary A and 10 users in Subsidiary B.  But you can't break certain fonts out of each seat and share them across multiple users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caleb,

I see your title of "Type Product Management" in your first post. Are you an Adobe employee?

And, not knowing how long you may have been an Adobe employee, I can see how you might not be able to answer my question "Is this a change in policy". Is it possible for you to check to see if it is?

I just confirmed that my description (that licensing cannot be split between locations) was Adobe's answer at that time. It has made matters much more difficult in those ten years to manage fonts across several companies.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom-

Yes, I am an Adobe employee and have been one for about seventeen years.  I have only been in Type for about three of those.  I have a Legal meeting tomorrow and will find out if anyone knows if this is a change in policy. As you mentioned, I can't really comment on what you were told ten years ago.  If you still have that correspondence, please feel free to send it to me at my direct email address and I will look into it.  I can be reached at caleb@adobe.com.

Caleb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply, Caleb. I will pass this info along to the powers-that-be here.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines