• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to access full font families?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to access the full range of a given typeface- Adobe seems to only offer a ridiculously limited amount of variations per font...

Thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font family and what “variations” of same do you actually have in mind? We can't give you any meaningful response or “thoughts” without knowing specifically which font family offered by Adobe is somehow missing particular styles or variations.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as though just about any font is limited, so that is why I didn't specify a font family.

But as an example, Bodoni 72 offers only three weights

book

book italic

bold

This is really limited. Sometimes I can see more are offered, but only for web design use.

I would rather have fewer font styles to choose from, but be able to access the full range of each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, Adobe itself doesn't license any “Bodoni 72” font family.

“Bodoni 72” is generally available as ITC Bodoni Seventy-Two™ and can be licensed from ITC Bodoni Seventy-Two™ - Webfont & Desktop font « MyFonts.

Yes, there are limited weights and styles for this particular font family, but it should be noted that as can be surmised by the font family name that includes “72,” this particular set of typefaces was specifically designed for use in large headlines and headers (as in 72pt) where the assumption was made that there was much less of a need for more weight and style variants. ITC also produced ITC Bodoni Six (as in 6pt text) for captions and footnotes as well as ITC Bodoni Twelve (as in 12pt text) for more conventional text typesetting.

These other ITC Bodoni families may be licensed at the same site or through other vendors. Adobe itself doesn't license any of the ITC Bodoni typefaces.

If you still feel limited, you might explore the offering of other Bodoni families (i.e., not the ITC offering).  You should also be aware that in the case of many of these older typeface families, the digital offerings in terms of styles and weights directly reflected those styles and weights that were actually available as metal type.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dov.

I've noticed this seems to be the case with most of the fonts.

Futura is another example- but they seem to all be like that.

I understand its a "free" bundled thing- but its just very limiting.

Unless I'm missing something here- maybe there is an option

to expand on what can be downloaded?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No typefaces of the Bodoni or the Futura families are bundled or are “free” from Adobe.  

Any Bodoni or Futura on your system must have come from elsewhere.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are splitting hairs- by "free" I mean what comes with the Typekit/CC enrollment.

The point is the font families are quite limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will not at all argue that your selection of "name" fonts via Typekit is fairly limited, especially for non-web use.

That being the case, for those with robust typographical needs, the traditional font licensing model certainly provides much more of a choice.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines