• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to search my font library for a certain glyph?

Engaged ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Windows 10, a ton of fonts.

I need to know which ones of them contain the character »LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S«, looking like this: ẞ. Is there any way of searching them to prompt me with only the names of those containing that glyph? Other than checking one by one with InDesign, that is 😉

Thanks –

Klaus

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's possible.

If you've got a font management software the search would be easier and faster, but still not fully automatic. (I use Typograf for Windows, but there are others more.)

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to note is that this character, a controversial one, was only added to Unicode as of 2008. So it is no use looking at older fonts than this. In fact it was not made official in Germany until 2017. You probably knew all this but just in case I thought I would mention this. See Capital ẞ - Wikipedia By the way, that page also lists some fonts including the character (presumably, in a revision).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought: Back in time, I seem to recall there have been AFM files accompanying each(?) font, containing font metrics info about every(?) character of a given font. And those AFM files used to be plain readable. I guess all that is not longer the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AFM (Adobe Font Metric) files accompanied Type 1 fonts licensed by Adobe more than twenty years ago. They were used for applications that ran in environments other than Windows and MacOS or to generate Windows .PFM files.

AFM files were not made available and/or were not relevant for TrueType and/or OpenType fonts.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines