• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use "expert characters" in OpenType fonts?

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2008 Aug 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to insert specific characters in a document with OS X's Character Palette. But how would one set a whole paragraph in small caps, for instance? Adobe CS3 apps include the necessary typographic controls to do this, but many applications (including Apple's native Cocoa apps) do not. It appears at first glance that users of many word processing apps are losing easy access to expert charsets (in those fonts that include them) if they "upgrade" to OpenType fonts. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Alan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 08, 2008 Aug 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple's Keynote and Pages support this sort of thing. However, there are indeed plenty of applications that do not, including Microsoft Word.

If you want to try to do fine typography in applications such as Microsoft Word, you may indeed be better off sticking with "old" fonts, until OpenType typography is supported in those applications.

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2008 Aug 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>If you want to try to do fine typography in applications such as Microsoft Word...<br /><br />It wouldn't be my first choice. (Sorry, Thomas, I couldn't resist!) <lol><br /><br />Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2008 Aug 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that anyone who cares about good typography probably wouldn't use Microsoft Word by choice, but there are plenty of designers who use Word to accommodate their hapless clients. It sure seems odd to me that OpenType isn't fully supported even on the Mac more than five years after it supposedly supplanted Postscript Type 1 as the official standard.

This is kind of off topic, but is there any chance that all those multiple master fonts that Adobe made back in the 90's will ever be supported again? I'm still running ATM in Classic mode on one partition of a powerbook G4 solely for the purpose of creating new multiple master font instances which, once created, can be copied into an OS X Fonts folder and used like any other font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assume that Multiple Master fonts are a dead issue, for better or worse. They were part of Type 1 technology. Such support is not defined in today's OpenType CFF font format.

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
alansky,<br /><br />Some thoughts from my side of the monitor. I also have the Office Suite on my system, primarily to support clients. But as I understand, the primary user base is general office, academia, legal, etc., not designers or typographers. I would believe that most of the former use system-installed or bundled TrueType fonts; maybe some Type 1; possibly a few use OpenType. I would further guess that relatively few such users go out of the way to purchase OpenType fonts -- or any fonts at all. Hey, with maybe 150 "free" fonts bundled with the OS, why in the world would they ever need another font? <g><br /><br />Not sure why you say that OpenType isn't fully supported on the Mac -- the OS can handle them. But I still wouldn't go so far as to call it the "official" standard. Specific apps are holding OpenType back by not rewriting their code.<br /><br />Alas, you can forget about further development of multiple master fonts. As wonderful as that technology was, it never really took off. Kind of like Beta VCRs.<br /><br />Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines