• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I installed a TrueType font that I've created and it doesn't show up in Photoshop, but it does show

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2008 Sep 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anybody help me? Why Photoshop is doing that?
I even reboot my computer. I'm working with Windows XP and Photoshop CS3. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will find that PS sorts fonts by different order than other programs. Do a search through the entire list, you might find it somewhere else (tell us the font name, and we might be able to help further).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, be sure the font is installed where the other fonts that are recognized by Photoshop are installed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Don and Neil, thanks for the help
The font is one that I've created to make a website, is related to a logo that I've created. I've installed just the way I've intaled all my fonts. I see the font in Word, Illustrator, Flash an all the other programs that I have except in Photoshop. It's strange! Can you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isa,
>The font is one that I've created to make a website

Then you need to review and validate this font. No idea how you created it, or if the software you used to create it is good or used correctly.

If your font doesn't appear in all applications, yet it is installed and activated the same way as the other fonts recognized by Photoshop, would tend to indicate font corruption or duplicate activated fonts.

But, if you have a gazillion fonts activated in Photoshop, know that Photoshop has a limit on how many fonts can be active simultaneously (at least on the Mac side). But if you have that many fonts activated, you need a good font manager. That many activated fonts creates excessively long font menus and slows down system performance.
Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2008 Sep 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> know that Photoshop has a limit on how many fonts can be active simultaneously

Not on the PC side, but one bad font will stop the program, and this means that too many fonts can be dangerous. (Chris Cox, a PS programmer, is my source on this one.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2008 Sep 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>one bad font will stop the program

I've never heard this before. In my experience, Windows and Adobe apps generally just don't recognise incorrectly constructed fonts and I've never known such a font to crash or otherwise disrupt an app like Photoshop.

On W2K and later PCs, you can easily have several thousand fonts installed and active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil. I used FrontCreator 5.6 to create the font. I have 1074 fonts installed in my PC. What you suggest as a font manager?

Thanks for all the help from all of you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominic

I should have been more clear. Photoshop sometimes will not load if it runs into a badly built font. You are correct that it does not crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Photoshop sometimes will not load if it runs into a badly built font.

That's not something I've ever come across either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isa,

I don't know how good Font Creator is in font creation or verification. The pros tend to use apps like FontLab.

As for font management, I can only speak from a Macintosh perspective. Font Agent Pro is generally acknowledged as the best of the lot for Macs. Others Use Suitcase or Font Reserve or the free Font Explorer from Linotype. You may want to hang around for some Windows-specific responses. In any case, with as many fonts as you have on your system, you need font management so you're not tripping over exceedingly long font menus and you don't slow down your system.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually the problem is not the tool, but how it's wielded.

I'd get the font checked by somebody knowledgeable who is going to crack it open in a font editor, as well as use checking tools such as FontValidator (Microsoft) and CompareFamily (Adobe).

Unfortunately, said tools are not really useful to beginners right away, because you need to be able to interpret the output and understand what might and might not cause this sort of problem....

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> That's not something I've ever come across either.

Neither have I. Probably both of us aren't picking up fonts from suspect sources (Warez and freeware sites). But about once a month or more someone in the PC Photoshop forum comes up with a problem of fonts missing or the program not loading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don,

Similar for Photoshop/Mac. The problem is often duplicate or corrupted fonts. And for Mac, a (vague) limit on how many fonts will be simultaneously recognized in the app.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2008 Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi to all. I've decided to make a new font, a new file. This time works. Must have been some problem with the original file. Thank you all for the help. :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines