• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I purchased Adobe Sonata OpenType font, only numbers show up.

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2014 Aug 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Adobe Sonata OpenType font, followed installment instructions, only numbers show up, the rest of the characters are boxes with Xs in them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Minimac, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.9.4

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

You need to install the custom keyboard that was provided along with the fonts. Look in the files you received and there should be detailed instructions as well.

Also here's a related thread in case it helps Re: Sonata font on MacOS - not working correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2014 Aug 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up, The characters up in my Font Book, they show up in the list of fonts in Illustrator or Indesign (CS6), but do not display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Type forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are expecting to be able to access the symbolic characters of the Sonata OpenType font via keyboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Unlike the old Type 1 fonts, OpenType fonts are normally Unicode encoded. As such, ASCII keyboard keystrokes don't map into the font font. You need to be able to enter the Unicode values for the symbols. If you are using software such as InDesign or Illustrator, you need to access the Glyphs palette to fully and properly access all the symbolic characters. For other applications, there are often symbol palettes that provide similar services.

-Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to install the custom keyboard that was provided along with the fonts. Look in the files you received and there should be detailed instructions as well.

Also here's a related thread in case it helps Re: Sonata font on MacOS - not working correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded this font from Fontspring and I was never given a keyboard layout. I am trying to use this font with the Finale notation program but I'm only seeing the numbers 1-9 and question marks in boxes for the other symbols. What do I need to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See my response above. Most applications have character palettes from which you can readily access characters from OpenType Unicode-based fonts, such as Sonata.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines