• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Identifying Type 1 fonts in PDFs

New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue. We are trying to inform our clients about Adobe ending usage of Type 1 fonts. We normally receive pdf files. How do I differentiate? The majority of my clients are saying they are using Open Type but when checking the properties everything in their pdf files says they are Adobe postscript (Type 1) fonts. Any info is greatly appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe is absolutely not ending support for Type 1 fonts in PDF files.

In fact most OpenType CFF fonts (i.e. OpenType fonts with Bezier curve outlines such as used in the older Type 1 format) appear in PDF files labelled as “Type 1 fonts.” That is not a problem at all. The ISO PDF specification explicitly supports Type 1 fonts and will always do so.

You have nothing to worry about with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is absolutely not ending support for Type 1 fonts in PDF files.

In fact most OpenType CFF fonts (i.e. OpenType fonts with Bezier curve outlines such as used in the older Type 1 format) appear in PDF files labelled as “Type 1 fonts.” That is not a problem at all. The ISO PDF specification explicitly supports Type 1 fonts and will always do so.

You have nothing to worry about with this!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, but I must not understand what is going to happen. How does this affect clients creating new files from Adobe programs. The programs will not have support for Type 1 fonts. How will they create new pdf files? What am I missing? Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the entire thread at https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography/announcement-adobe-ends-support-for-type-1-fonts-for-... and I think that will answer your questions.

What was announced was that some Adobe programs, i.e., those in the Creative Cloud subscription, will no longer allow editing of text with Type 1 fonts (as opposed to OpenType CFF fonts) beginning in 2023. You will still be able to place existing PDF and EPS with embedded Type 1 fonts into InDesign and Illustrator documents, for example. And of course, all Acrobat, PostScript printing, and Adobe PDF Print Engine operations will continue to fully support Type 1 fonts.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Mr. Isaacs for your help with this issue. I now understand what will be happening. You have been a great help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines