Increasing the Character limit in Opentype

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who would I contact about increasing the ceiling limit on the Opentype standard from 65,000 glyphs to 150,000?

I want a single font file with all of Unicode 6.1 characters. I'm sure others would as well. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you ask has been deemed not possible, simply because the 64K glyph limit cannot be raised in the context of the 'glyf' or 'CFF' tables of the OpenType Specification. This was investigated a few years ago, and I was part of that effort. The short answer is that such a change would need to touch far too many parts of the OpenType Specification, and would create incompatibilities. The font formats that are used to produce the 'CFF' table, meaning name-keyed Type 1 fonts and CID-keyed fonts, have similar limits that carry forward to the 'CFF' table.

The solution that came out of those discussions was to standardize a composite font format that uses a virtual font resource that references two or more component fonts. This work has been done, and was published earlier this year as ISO/IEC 14496-28:2012 (Composite Font Representation). See: http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=59240

The first OS to support CFR objects is Mac OS X Version 10.8. I wrote about here, which includes an "All of Unicode" CFR object and the component fonts that it references: http://blogs.adobe.com/CCJKType/2012/07/cfr-support-in-mountain-lion.html

I hope this helps...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much. I'll read into that. It sounds kind of like a modern TrueType Collection method.

I also greatly appreciate your work in creating a solution.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines