Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indian language - Gujarati OpenType font problem

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2010 Mar 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
I  have designed a Gujarati opentype font using Fontographer 4 on a  macintosh machine, version 10.5.8, generated a TTF file of it and wrote  the tables for that font using VOLT on a Windows machine. When I test  the font in notepad, word on windows or openoffice in Linux, no  positioning or substitution tables appear. But all these rules are  working well when tested in the proofing tool of VOLT.

Can  anyone please tell why is could be happening? Am I missing some thing in  the process?
Thanks so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need a program that properly handles the OpenType rules that you included in the font. As far as I know, there is no Apple software that will properly interpret these features you included. To access these features, you will need either something that can make access of Microsoft's Uniscribe engine, or you can use the latest Adobe CS products with the World Ready Composer Templates or one of the plugins that will make these features available.

http://www.thomasphinney.com/2009/01/adobe-world-ready-composer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2010 Apr 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Hunt,

Am little bit confused after reading your reply.As jui mentioend she have designed the font using fontographer and wrote the tables by using VOLT (in windows)

So whether rendering engine is necesary for the fonotgrapher, as per my knowledge fontographer lets to design, edit, and manipulate fonts(Pls correct me if am wrong).And all the posiitoning and tabling happens in Windows by using volt, where bydefault uniscribe support is there.

Pls clarify this.Also If it's the issue is any convertion tool is avialable for converting the font from MAC to Windows.Or wil it possible to do by fontographer or volt.

And if we ported this font to fontforge, with the Pango or ICU backend support( in Linux), whether this issue will resolve ?

PS:Am just a beginer in this domain,starts learing with jui.So pls apologise me if am wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2010 Apr 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry that my reply above was unclear. I'm assuming that if your font is working as expected in the VOLT preview, then the font is well formed. The compiled output from VOLT will result in an OpenType font, which will work on either Mac or Windows, there is no need to convert this font for it to work on another platform.

What I was meaning to say above is that for you to take advantage of the features programmed in the font, you will need to use the font in applications that can properly handle the features. If the font is not working in Word, perhaps the Uniscribe file associated with Word is an older version that needs to be updated. Can you tell me what version of the Word software you are using? Can you tell what version of Uniscribe Word has access to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines