• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing a Type 1 font in Windows 7 64-bit

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought and downloaded a font, expecting it to be a simple matter of placing it in the Windows Font folder. However, it has both .pfb and .amf file extensions. The website I purchased it from said that I needed Adobe Type Manager, but this is incompatible with Windows 64-bit OS. Is there a solution to this? Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Go back to whoever licensed the font to you and request the .pfm file that goes with the .pfb file that you have. The built-in font installation capabilities of WIndows requires both the .pfb and the .pfm file for each Type 1 font. Even Adobe's Creative Suite applications and Acrobat require both these files. If they cannot provide the .pfm file, demand a refund!

The long-defunct Adobe Type Manager product did have the capability of creating a .pfm file if you had not only the .pfb and the .afm f

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions? Any help would be greately appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to whoever licensed the font to you and request the .pfm file that goes with the .pfb file that you have. The built-in font installation capabilities of WIndows requires both the .pfb and the .pfm file for each Type 1 font. Even Adobe's Creative Suite applications and Acrobat require both these files. If they cannot provide the .pfm file, demand a refund!

The long-defunct Adobe Type Manager product did have the capability of creating a .pfm file if you had not only the .pfb and the .afm file, but also a matching .inf file. That website you visited is at least eight years out of date in terms of its information. Do not attempt to load any version of the Adobe Type Manager on Windows XP 64-bit or any version, 32-bit or 64-bit, of Windows Vista or Windows 7. You could end up with a damaged Windows installation requiring reinstallation of Windows.

- Dov

PS:     This forum is a user to user forum and is not an outlet of Adobe Technical Support or officially monitored by Adobe.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks Dov. I realise this sort of thing is a common query, but no problem seems to have a universal solution, so I'm glad I've found mine. All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines