Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing PS1 Fonts on Windows 7

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use a mac at work but a Windows 7 64-bit machine at home. I'm taking some work with me and I'm looking at the font files that I'll need and I see a bunch of PostScript Type 1 files and one .scr file. I was looking up how to install PostScript Type 1 fonts on Windows 7 and read that you need both the .pfm and .pfb files, but I don't see these here. First, what is the .scr file, and second, will I still be able to download these fonts on to my PC?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the format for Type 1 files for WIndows is very different from that of MacOS.

For Windows, the font file itself has the suffix .pfb (PostScript Font Binary) and the extended font metrics file has the suffix .pfm (PostScript Font Metrics). Both must be available for the font to be installed and used under Windows. Typically, the two files would be in the same directory. You right-click the .pfm file and chose the Install font option.

The MacOS versions of Type 1 fonts cannot be used under Windows. Typically the font foundry that has supplied you with the MacOS version would also have the same fonts in the Windows format.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: This is one of the best reasons to migrate to use of cross-platform compatible OpenType fonts!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I buy OpenType as much as possible. I guess while I still have your attention, I've seen some open type fonts say PostScript OTF. I'm a little confused by this. Arent PostScritp and OpenType different formats?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two flavours of OpenType fonts.

OpenType CFF fonts are OpenType fonts with Type 1 font Bezier curve outlines and hinting (comparable to the old Type 1 fonts).

OpenType TrueType fonts are OpenType fonts with TrueType quadratic curve outlines and hinting.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is "PostScript OTF," seen in the buying options in this link, inaccurate?

http://www.bertholdtypes.com/font/akzidenz-grotesk/standard/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On that particular webpage, it would appear that what they describe as PostScript OTF is really OpenType OTF.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whew, that's a relief. I thought I'd be dealing with this all over again. Thanks so much, Dov.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the fast reply, Dov. This has always confused me, so at least I know now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines