Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kern Questions with Custom Font

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WinXP, IDCS3 5.0.3
The company I work for had a font customized for their company exclusively. The font has been used with Ventura & InDesign successfully for about five years. Now we're doing more multilingual work & have found the keyboard layouts for this font were not complete or chars are in wrong positions. Using Fontlab, I've been able to update these accordingly, but having kern issues with spanish punctuation that begins sentences (upside down ! and ?) I'm a fontlab novice, so I simply copied the right side up version of these characters & flipped upside down & pasted characters in correct keyboard layout position. Changed the spacing on left & right side of char., but InDesign seems to still see these chars. as end of sentence characters, leaving extra space after. Is there anything else I need to change in the character settings to help InDesign see these as beginning of sentence characters?
Thanks
Sandy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither InDesign nor FontLab knows anything about these being "end of sentence" or "beginning of sentence" glyphs. If you've fixed the spacing, the problem must be that when you made the glyphs, you copied them from existing glyphs, and the kerning came with the copy operation.

In the FontLab preferences (Tools > Options > Font Window) there's a setting for "kerning information is copied with the glyph." You could turn that off, go to the Font Window, copy the problem glyph, delete it in the FONT WINDOW so as to clear the kerning, and then paste it back into its cell. I imagine that would fix the problem.

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks T . . .That's exactly the info I needed. I'm hoping to get back to that project this afternon.

thanks again
sandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines