Late sixties type recommendations

Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2008 Mar 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for display fonts with a U.S. sixties touch, but not flower-power or hippie. Have there been clear styles in those days or was everything just experiments?

I could use some help with the name of this 1970 headline font:

http://www.sl-prokeys.com/stax/staxscans/fax1.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2008 Mar 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font is Futura (probably Futura Display)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2008 Mar 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, I always thought of Futura as a light text font, but Futura Display (with the rounded forms at the "x") has real headline and logotype quality.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that Avant Garde Gothic, Serif Gothic, Helvetica, Lubalin Graph, Busorama are all fonts that will easily give you that '70s look.

Here is a link to a quick search I did using Lubalin as the keyword at MyFonts.com: http://www.myfonts.com/search?search%5Btext%5D=lubalin

You'll be hearing the bead curtains clinking and the heady aroma of the herb which Bill Clinton did not inhale will fill the air when you get a look at the fonts this search results yields.

Good luck.

Tim

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helvetica, Eurostile, Antique Olive are all plausible choices.

Avant Garde, Serif Gothic and Lubalin Graph are more mid 70s.

Regards,

T

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 22, 2008 Mar 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the tips!

- Michael

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2008 Mar 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw a lot of Bookman Bold Italic with Swash back then... also, Cooper Black. You might give those a look!
- David

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2008 Mar 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Michael,

Bookman with swash (not necessarily BF), Cooper Black, Helvetica, Futura, Century Schoolbook, Aster, Clarendon, Fortune, Egyptian BF Cond, Twentieth Century, News Gothic...

Also take a look at work from Pushpin Studios from that time. Trust me when I say you will be amazed!

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines