• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Licensing font in iPhone App?

Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

as you can read in the title I am currently developing an iPhone App. I purchased the Adobe CS5 Design Premium and already used it to create graphics.

My question is if I can use Myriad Pro in my App and if I need to purchase a new license.

The font will be encrypted in the iPhone App-file later and cannot be extracted. So it would fit "printable" and according to the font licensing-tables Myriad Pro is "editable".

But I am unsure so I wanted to ask here first.

Regards

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get an answer on this? I have the same question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the answer is, yes you do need additional licensing to embed the font in an app and distribute it. The existing embedding permissions are for documents, rather than apps.

For those fonts that Adobe owns all rights to, which include Myriad, they can license the fonts to you for app embedding. Contact Adobe, and if they don't know who to send you to, ask for your request to be forwarded to product management for Adobe Type. They'll know what to do.

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification. A post in another thread seemed to imply the opposite.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/432088

I've called Adobe four times now and can't seem to find someone who can help. I haven't asked for product management though, so I'll give that a shot. The operator keeps telling me I have to ask for a specific person.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be the case that Adobe includes Flash embedding in their default licensing, but not embedding for other kinds of apps. I dont know what the current position is on that.

In any case, if you can get me your email address, I'll get you in touch with the right person. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I'll PM it to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am writing the relevant person right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

So what was the answer?

Did you get the license? How much does it costs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did talk to someone. Adobe doesn't have a program yet to license fonts for app distribution, but they are working on one. I was told they hope to get things set up this year. Hopefully earlier, rather than later.

I haven't heard anything so far, but it seems inevitable. Other font foundries are heading in that direction too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

FontShop already has such license. Check out their “Mobile” fonts.

Will look forward for Adobe’s move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd still like to see Adobe license their fonts for mobile use. MyFonts (and others) now have mobile app licensing options, but Adobe fonts seem to be excluded and only available for desktop licensing.

Has anyone heard an update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question, for the same font (Myriad Pro).

But how rediculous is this, that we have to wait for ages to get an answer (if that will ever happen), and that it is really impossible to get someone on the phone from Adobe who can answer this question? I've tried several times and every time ended up with: send an email to font-licensing@adobe.com. Which doesn't aswer back of course...

The initial question dates from November 8th, 2010(!) and this thread has had 6000+ views...

COME ON ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard back from Adobe on Sep 6. They are still planning to do this, but those plans have been delayed for various reasons. Seems like a simple obvious step to take though.

I ended up having to ship with another font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I emailed Caleb Belohlavek (see https://forums.adobe.com/message/5184139), who is who I talked to earlier, on Feb 6, 2014, but did not hear back. I just emailed again today, and cc'd font-licensing@adobe.com too. Hopefully, I hear back.

7782 views and counting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like there is a more recent thread covering the same topic. Same answer so far.

Adobe fonts for commercial use? Need license?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines