• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

looking for SERIF CONDENSED font

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am looking for a recommendation of a good SERIF CONDENSED font(commercial one)

Thank you very much

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Details would be needed in order to make a meaningful recommendation.  How is it going to be used?  Where? On what paper (or background if for Web)?  What's the message?  Etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its for paper( will be used in a book)

this font will be used as a font for notes; (the text is about history)

(so each line will be about 4 cm long,and will be 2-3 lines)

and I need SERIF CONDENSED caz there isnt enough space...

any suggestions please?

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are several major considerations:

First, do you already know what typeface the book itself will be set in? If so, it's important that the footnote typeface be compatible with that. Usually, the same typeface is used for footnotes as in the main text, just at a smaller size.

Second, for legibility, you are usually better off using a more legible typeface in a smaller size, rather than using a particularly condensed typeface.

Third, some typefaces have special fonts available that are specifically intended for setting at a smaller size than the regular font. The idea of designing the font differently for different intended sizes is called "optical size." See http://www.adobe.com/type/topics/opticalsize.html for more information. So you could use a "regular" font for the body text, and then a "caption" font from the same typeface at a smaller size for the footnotes.

Minus the footnote-specific comments, the second and third points above are part of my standard talk on font legibility I've been giving at design conferences lately.  🙂

Cheers,

T

http://www.thomasphinney.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines