• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microsoft XNA font embedding rules

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends. I'm looking to make a Microsoft XNA game, and would like to know Adobe's policy on embedded fonts. Basically, you put the fonts into an image file, usually a .BMP file. Microsoft Visual Studio and XNA will basically take that .BMP file, and convert it to a proprietary file format, .xnb. Does this require any special license?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's font EULA allows you to create BMP files using fonts licensed from Adobe. No special license is necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick answer. I'll be sure to let anyone else know if the topic ever comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2010 Sep 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the embedding licenses mentioned here matter when converting a font to a BMP to be used in a game?

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/info/embedding.html

Am I limited to only using fonts listed as  "Embedding: Editable", or is that only referring to the vector shapes in a font?

The Nintedo Wii game I am working on uses a BMP file of every character, that is dynamically put together to display text strings, so there is no vector curves of the font in the distributed game.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use the fonts to create as many BMP files as you need.

No, you're not restricted to fonts listed as  "Embedding: Editable".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines