• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Minion Pro & Open Type Features in Word 2010???

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Minion Pro (OpenType) last night.  I’m working in Microsoft Word 2010 on Windows 7 64-bit. When I go into the Font dialog and tap on the Advance tab, all of the Open Type Features dropdown lists are grey and disabled.  Deleted the font and then reinstalled it.  Same results. 

For some other fonts (e.g., Adobe Garamond Pro and Caslon Pro) the Open Type Features dropdown lists are enabled.

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

-r

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never had that problem with either Word 2010 or Word 2013 on Windows 7 64-bit. As far as we know, there is no generic problem with Adobe OpenType fonts under Windows 7 64-bit.

However, you may want to make sure that you have all Office 2010 updates installed on your system.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Thanks for the info.  I just reran Windows Update to ensure I have all of the latest updates.  I do.  The problem still exists.  Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

-r

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh… I rebooted my computer. Now things are working as they should. So it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, I was just about to suggest rebooting with the assumption that perhaps some process in the system was holding the font files open and preventing access. Glad it all works now for you!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah... I found the real underlying reason... Yes, I did reboot, but then I also went into another file.  When I went back to the original file, the Open Type Features dropdown lists were still disabled. 

The original file (in which the Open Type Features dropdown lists are still disabled) is a Word 97-2003 .doc file I downloaded from CreateSpace.com. 

The other file (in which the Open Type Features dropdown lists are enabled) is a Word 2012 .docx file. 

I'm guessing support for Open Type Features was introduced in Word 2012 and is only supported in the the newer file format.

Hopefully this post will help others save a few gray hairs.

-r

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it did. Thank you.

B.H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines