• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modern yet conservative font

Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2008 Nov 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I'm looking at oodles of fonts. I'm looking for a font that says "modern (as in Internet age) yet still a conservative business." Dang if I know that would be. I've toyed with everything from Requiem (very elegant conservative) to Neuropol (futuristic). I guess I'll be here a while. But I thought I'd ask if anyone had any favorite fonts that would fit that theme... (I don't mind purchasing a font if I can find the right look.)

Back to the game....

Thanks, Phyllis

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil

Yes, 2 related families often work better than one. I personally think that Otl Aicher's identity for the Munich Olympic Games, based on geometrical proportions, vibrant colours, and Univers (!) takes an awful lot of beating. Boring, sterile, it ain't. The typeface, with its calmness, exactly counterpoints the other elements.

http://www.1972municholympics.co.uk/index.php

But I know we're not living in 1972!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,
>Boring, sterile, it ain't.

Don't confuse the very nice graphics (which hold up very well over the years) that are integrated with Univers. I agree that Univers supports the program well.

I'm not completely dismissing the typeface; but, as demonstrated, one has to be aware of the company it keeps. As I said... "By itself, Univers is just very cold and somewhat mechanical to my eyes."

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> very cold and somewhat mechanical to my eyes

And I'll bet that in the past you have used Univers a lot. Part of the problem might be that you are just bored by the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don,

Actually, in the late 1960s and 1970s I did use the font with some frequency. Now, barely at all. Although it is easy enough to change, I also never liked the very open default tracking of the letters. If I have to chose, I prefer Helvetica or Neue Helvetica for its warmer feeling. Or Gill Sans. Or Futura. Or Frutiger. Or Myriad. Or...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding sans serifs for banks: I was amused to see that the Umpqua Bank uses Lithos for their logo (in a bold or black weight).

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More important: they should change the name of the bank. From this Easterner's eyes, it sounds as un-banklike as "WaMu". <g><br /><br />Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 21, 2008 Nov 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Didn't realize this thread could start some font controversies. 🙂 I still haven't settled on a font but hope to this weekend!!! I ordered a big sample book of all the Adobe fonts which is helpful too. :)

Thanks, Phylllis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2008 Nov 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phyllis,

You can also use myfonts.com which has a huge catalog, and even do a trial setting of the name of the bank in a variety of fonts there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I like some of the modern serif dutch types, but they can be expensive. Check Dutch type library and teff's fonts. For san serif, I think Adobe's offerings are as good as any and better than Univers. (Myriad Pro etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines