• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More information on Variable Type

Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to see the Opentype 1.8 added to the Adobe creative suite. Disappointing  is the the lack of documentation and support to get the average, person started using this. Decided to start this thread, and hope you all will add interesting links or information to this.

Load a font

I recommend downloading the free Decovar Google developed. The Decovar variable font has some amazing options especially to the serifs, and shows how variable fonts go beyond what multiple masters ever could.

GitHub - TypeNetwork/fb-Decovar: A multistyle decorative variable font by David Berlow

Using variable type & svg type fonts

Once you load one of the new font you technologies, you will notice the font appears with the new opentype icons with either VAR or SVG in them.

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 9.33.48 AM.png

Get to the variable type options

Look for this icon

Unfortunately the window will not expand fully so you will need to scroll

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 9.25.08 AM.png

Trajan is an svg font, with multiple colors that comes with with 2018 update. You cannot change the color or swatch son the font, unless you outline the type to paths.

Problems

Some font lock up my system with a spinning beachball. Must be either Anton or Amstelevar Alpha. will report back when I find out more information. I had to force quit Universal Type Client, and restarting would give em a spinning beachball, unless is immediately hit some letters on the keyboard to avoid the font preview of the last font you were on. turning off preview allowed me to finally remove the fonts from our Universal Type Server, and get out of spinning beachball loop.

Some fonts such as Source serif are giving me some sharp edges, which go away if you go to the stroke palette palette and change limit check newly the defat of 10.

Where can I find a list of new fonts added by Adobe?

Been struggling to find this myself, hopefully someone at Adobe that worked on this can provide some more information but here is what I found

Opentype Variable
Acumin, Minion, Myriad, Source Code, Source Sans, Source Serif, System Font System Font are what I am finding.

SVG

Trajan Pro

Searched typekit for over an hour and found little or no mention of Variable or SVG fonts. Couple of blogs but they don't really say much. Hopefully typekit will get updated to feature and support these new technologies.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opened an issue on the Source Serif Pro repository requesting an enhancement that hopefully will address the sharp edges problem you mentioned.

As for more info about color fonts and variable fonts from Adobe and how to use them, I suggest reading these two blog posts:

New variable fonts from Adobe Originals

Introducing Trajan Color Concept, a new OpenType-SVG font by Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Miguel!

Hopefully a better way will be made to change colors for SVG fonts as using the glyphs panel is quite cumbersome. Below I set 3 red rectangles in Illustrator to blending mode of color, in an attempt to find an easier method for this.

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 9.07.27 AM.png

Photoshop has a nice feature of option clicking between the layer underneath to create a clipping mask. Illustrator would need more work to create a custom mask and use make mask in transparency.

Addressing these core usability design issues is what will be important in either keeping these new font technologies in the future or  them fading away and be forgotten as multiple master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

font in Arabic language doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines