• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My 1990 Minion PostScript Type l fonts don't function correctly in Microsoft Word 2011 OR QuarkXPress 10.5. Do I have to buy new fonts?! They worked FINE in 2008. They're for book offset printing.

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Is there a free or cheap "upgrade" or fix for my 1990 Minion Regular and Minion Expert fonts? I had a beautiful book printed offset with those fonts in 2008

to mention the latest publication I used them in, and at the time was using QuarkXPress 4. Now I've got QuarkXPress 10.5 and Microsoft Word 2011 which I'm using

on an iMac with OS 10.8.5.

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Morty,

Recent versions of MacOS simply don't support Type 1 fonts anymore. Since both Microsoft Office and QuarkXPress use the Mac's native font capabilities, you are out of luck in terms of use of these fonts now. Adobe applications running under MacOS (and for that matter, also under Windows) such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat do still fully support Type 1 fonts., although we do recommend OpenType fonts for those users as well moving forward.

That having been said, the cross-p

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morty,

Recent versions of MacOS simply don't support Type 1 fonts anymore. Since both Microsoft Office and QuarkXPress use the Mac's native font capabilities, you are out of luck in terms of use of these fonts now. Adobe applications running under MacOS (and for that matter, also under Windows) such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat do still fully support Type 1 fonts., although we do recommend OpenType fonts for those users as well moving forward.

That having been said, the cross-platform Minion Pro OpenType format fonts (see https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayFontPackage&code=177...) combine the base fonts with all the features of the so-called “expert sets” that were separate Type 1 fonts. You may license individual typefaces, selected subsets, or the entire Minion Pro family. OpenType fonts are usable directly on both Windows and MacOS. They also support OpenType features such as automatic ligatures, alternate renditions, small caps, old style figures, fractions, and proportional figures. Minion Pro also supports Cyrillic and Greek character sets as well as providing a number of additional ornaments and special characters. It is a tremendous update of the original Minion font family issued way back when.

To answer the other aspect of your question, no, there is not a “free or cheap ‘upgrade’ or fix” for these vintage fonts that you licensed way back when. But then again, if you licensed the Type 1 version back in 1990, you've gotten nearly 25 years of use out of these digital assets. (Adobe stopped normal licensing of the Type 1 versions of MInion nearly 15 years ago!)

- Dov

PS:    I have rachmanot for you having to deal with QuarkXPress! 

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great, Dov—thank you so much. You have no idea the various ways I tried to solve this problem—including with (I won't mention the big page-layout company's tech people) and all kinds of searches, clearing font caches, ad nauseum. Who'd-a-thunk PostScript Type 1 would go out? (or as my aunt Muriel would have said, "Go figure.") I've published my The Spirit That Moves Us Press books since 1975, but thought I was retired until this recent book manuscript came my way.

Yes, not a bad deal with Expert versions included with the font, and ornaments. I have now only to click on purchase in my shopping cart, for

Minion Pro Regular, Medium, Semibold and their italics.

One more question, please: What do you mean by "I have rachmanot for you having to deal with QuarkXPress!" ?

I have an idea but would appreciate your expanding on this—I swear I won't quote you.

I did look up rachmanot, including in a particular dictionary because of your name, but came up with nothing.

Zei gezund,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would be an Adobe Creative Cloud subscriber the complete Minion Pro family is available in the Typekit without additional cost, when it is activated it is available for all programs on that computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2015 Mar 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No thanks, Willi,

I prefer to own the fonts outright.

P.S. My mother's father came from Austria (1870?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would never own them, you cannot buy fonts anyway, you can only license it.

>Where did your grandfather come from? (Austria was much bigger than today in that time. Austria extended from today's Ukraine to the western border of Austria today, from today's Alto Aldige (the German part of Italy) to Southern Poland of today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have six Minion Pro fonts in my Shopping Cart priced at $35 each. Whether I own them or can use them doesn't matter.

Were the Minion fonts I had for many many years not owned by me even though they're in my font folder and I use them when I want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to some of you questions ...

Rachmanot means something between “pity” or “compassion” in Hebrew. (In Yiddish, it would be rachmanus!)

In terms of “buying” fonts. It is exceptionally rare that one actually buys a font itself. The only situations that I know of where a font itself is purchased is when an organization commissions a designer or a font foundry to design and implement a new font for their own purposes. Otherwise, what the vast majority of us have been “buying” over the years are the media the font is delivered on (and now even that doesn't exist anymore with downloads) and a license to use the font. What that font license allows varies from vendor to vendor.

For the fonts licensed by Adobe (not via Typekit) for individual fonts and families of fonts, you are limited to 5 seats (you cannot sell off the seats you yourself or your direct organization in a particular locality don't use) and you are allowed to embed the fonts in PDF, EPS, PostScript, and ePub files. You cannot embed these fonts in web pages or in application programs. I have attached a copy of the End User License Agreement governing fonts licensed from Adobe.

Font licensing can also be differentiated in terms of a perpetual license versus a more limited license. The fonts that you originally licensed as well as the fonts you license via Adobe's website are perpetual licenses, meaning you can use the fonts indefinitely into the future as long as they are supported by the software you are using. In other words, perpetual doesn't mean forever if either applications, the operating systems, or both stop supporting the licensed product. This also applies to application programs.

Note that another form of font licensing is also becoming available. If you have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription (monthly - paid for monthly or for a year with a discount), you also have access to Adobe's Typekit service which for the duration of your subscription, provides access to a large library of fonts at no additional cost for use with not only Adobe applications, but also any other application on your computer system. They also can be embedded in PDF, EPS, PostScript, and ePub files for output. However, you don't have access to the actual font files themselves. Depending upon one's needs, this may be quite a benefit.

Good luck with your project.

- Dov

PS: Whereas you may be mortyfromqueens, I am Dov born in The Bronx and brought up in Franklin Square (Longuyland).   !חג פסח שמח

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Dov!—rachmanus is what I'd heard from time to time from my Grandma Rose, Aunt Muriel, my mother and others in the sense you mentioned.

Thanks for the time you took for your explanation re Adobe fonts, and the gonza megillah of the license agreement.

Yes, חג פסח שמח

It's been awhile since I helped my mother change the dishes for Pesach (I'm 79).

I tried to attach a PDF of a poetry book from a former Bronx guy, but wasn't able to. How can I get it to you?

It's titled, Concrete Pastures of the Beautiful Bronx.

Best,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E-mail to me at isaacs@adobe.com.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got InDesign CC with Typekit. Thank you.

A zisn Pesach,

Mutcha (gutteral ch) Morty

Sent from iMorty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines