• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My 28 Myriad Pro fonts work in InDesign but not in MS Publisher

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the fonts for over 20 years. The regular and condensed came with an Adobe app. I bought the semi-condensed, if memory serves, bought them from Adobe. I have the current Creative Suite. They show and work fine in those up-to-date apps. But MS Publisher (which is current and which I must use for nonprofit clients) only shows 8 of the 28 and gives them the wrong names. Behaves erratically. My new work in Publisher is supposed to match old work in InDesign, and it can't, because the Myriad Pro fonts don't work. My questions are two-fold. Is there anything I can do to make the fonts work in Publisher -- or should I accept that they won't work? Secondly, given the age of the fonts, given my switch from Mac to Windows 10, and given my moving to a new location, I have no paperwork on buying the semi-condensed 10 fonts. Typekit can't help 'cuz I didn't buy them from Typekit. I have found nothing on the Adobe site about font registration. Is there anything to be done to download the latest versions of these fonts in hope it will fix this situation?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Chuck+M  schrieb

I've had the fonts for over 20 years. ...

Secondly, given the age of the fonts, given my switch from Mac to Windows 10 ...

Which file format are the missed fonts?

If Postscript, then you need 2 files for a successful installation on a Windows PC: the *.pfb and the *.pfm.

Double click the *.pfm file and it will install.

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

All 28 are labelled OpenType font file. (They probably were Postscript at first, but decades ago I updated them once or twice when I was still on a Mac. All/most give year 2005. Have no license info to try updating them now.)

In looking for substitution fonts, I installed DejaVu Sans. Less than half of the family show in Publisher.

1.     Think I should try to get Office 365 to reinstall Publisher.

2.     "Fonts" says I have 280 fonts installed in my up-to-date Windows 10 HP laptop with 16 gig of memory. Many are free fonts. Could they be fighting among themselves? I could try turning off the added ones as a test, IF I could tell which ones need to be left active..

Chuck M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they don't fight among themselves (LOL) as long as they are different fonts and not the same font(s) in different font format(s) or duplicate font Files & names with slight internally differences.

These thoughts come to my mind:

a) It's the Publishers fault. I've got the old Publisher 2010 and it makes exactly the same mistakes in the assignment of the font weights to the font names. Microsoft has never done much for the development of Publisher.

b) I don't know if you are used to the "B" and "I" buttons for to get the bold, italic and bold-italic font faces. They will never be listed in the drop down font list. By the way, it's the same in my Microsoft Word 2010.

c) Anyway I see no way to resolve this issue than using the reachable fonts or another font family. I'm afraid reinstalling Publisher or the complete Office Suite will not make them smarter.

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google took me to the MS site. They offered a full fix for Office 365. I took it and it seemed to include an Office reinstall. But you're right. Made no difference.

Will give this particular client a choice between InDesign with the Myriad Pro Semi-condensed Semibold font they're used to (the short term solution) and Publisher with a slightly different font (longer term compatibility).

It does seem that MS doesn't value Publisher. They sorta act like they might soon drop it. And replace with nothing? I don't think I'll want to design pages in Word. AFAIK images in Word are always linked to a piece of text. To me, that's a bad idea.

By tomorrow I'll mark this as ANSWERED.

Chuck M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Early evidence suggests that my Myriad Pro year 2005 Open Type fonts were causing another problem. Working with them in Photoshop and Illustrator (current versions) strangely caused the Windows system font (used in Desktop, apps and elsewhere) to change to dingbats. Happened commonly. Required a restart. Then back to work and would happen again. I've now hidden all 28 of the Myriad Pro fonts in Fonts. Still working in Photoshop, with other fonts. There have been no occurrences of dingbats.

1.     This weekend I plan to reduce the number of my active fonts from almost 300 to under 100. See if that helps MS Publisher deal with recognizing them correctly. Probably not but time will tell.

2.     Am also trying to find another sans serif semi-condensed family that my client will like. So far, Publisher gives the families I've installed the same shoddy treatment it gives Myriad Pro.

Will post here again only if there are some positive results others might benefit from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!

Crime novel, episode 3 of 18.

Who's the offender?

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Partial results:

I hid about 100 fonts. Restarted. Publisher did a definitely better job. But not a complete job. With a 16 font family, Aileron, Pub saw 10 of them. And seemed to get the names right, which is new. Not sure how much time I will take to probe further. There are other things to do. The local tech college has a Publisher instructor on faculty. Will try to see him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines