Need Help: Silly Questions

New Here ,
May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am completely ignorant of the topic and appreciate any advice I can get.  Sorry for silly questions in advance.  I am not a designer.

Once in a while, I get Microsoft Word documents with fonts that don't come with MS Office (Windows).  For example, a get AGaramond-Pro and MyriadPro.  One of them is part of Adobe's "Standard Install Set 1" and the other part of "Standard Install Set 2."  I don't have these on my machine (or at least in Word).  In these documents, the fonts are shown as they were created (such as "AGaramondPro-Regular") but I think what I see on the screen is not the same font but some kind of substitution (some TTF).  Needless to say, when I try to edit and send the document back, it all looks different.

1. I guess I need to get these fonts, but maybe they are already on my computer or can be taken from some other application (such as simple Adobe Acrobat).  I think these are not true type fonts, which might be the reason for my problem. I am also concerned that if I do manage to install or activate these fonts, there would be problems if I send the document to somebody like me, who would not see them on the screen the same way or be able to print them the same way.  (I can send a PDF with the fonts embedded, but even this is problematic since the "Embed OpenTypes fonts" option in Adobe Acrobat is gray and does not allow me to put a checkmark there.  Maybe it means they are embedded automatically, or maybe it means it cannot be done.)

2. I tried, as a test, taking just one OpenType font from a friend (who is equally ignorant of these matters) to see if it would work on my computer.  I installed it in Windows and it showed up as an OTF in the list of Windows font.  It immediately appeared in Word, but it looked nothing like it was supposed to (was barely legible).  As another test, I created a PDF out of this Word document.  I checked "Embed all fonts" but the "Embed OpenType fonts" option was gray and I couldn't click on it.  In the PDF, the font was substituted with something completely different and in some cases spaces between letters in the words appeared.  So it didn't work.

3. I don't want to buy the whole Font Folio since I only need a few basic fonts.  (They seem to come with some much cheaper Adobe products.)  What's worse, I am not sure even buying the whole library would work since I want to use the fonts in Word rather than in Adobe applications.

4. The main thing I want to do is to make changes to the document I get not without messing up the design/layout.  My problem, however, starts even before that, since when I open the Word document it already looks different from what I see in the PDF version.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbe11,

before diving too deep into unknown waters: Have you tried sending back the edited document to the owner and did they complain about font issues? Some application can store unknown font names and use them again when a document returned to the original PC. Of course, you cannot make any layout stuff in such documents.

@ #2: You must have done something wrong during the installation or the font is damaged. Or you should not copy a possibly licensed font from another rmachine. Or you took only one of two necessary files... endless possibilities...

@ #3: Fonts that come with Adobe products are AFAIK licensed to be used with that product and not for installation in the OS. Those products look for fonts in some special folders in addition to the OS’s font folder.

- Michael

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Micahel wrote:

@ #3: Fonts that come with Adobe products are AFAIK licensed to be  used with that product and not for installation in the OS.

This is definitely NOT SO. There are no differences in the licensing  terms for fonts whether acquired separately or bundled with other  products.

@ #3-b: Those products look for fonts in some special folders in  addition to the OS’s font folder.

This is only partially true. Adobe products look for all fonts first  in a common Adobe folder, and, if not found, then look in the system  location.

To make all included fonts available to other applications, they  should be MOVED (NOT COPIED) to the system location.

This is true for both Mac and Windows systems.

- Herb

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Sorry about the blank replies. Dumb system]

Newbell wrote:

I am completely ignorant of the topic and appreciate any advice I can  get.  Sorry for silly questions in advance.  I am not a designer.

-- There are no silly questions!

Once in a while, I get Microsoft Word documents with fonts that don't  come with MS Office (Windows).  For example, a get AGaramond-Pro and  MyriadPro.  One of them is part of Adobe's "Standard Install Set 1"  and the other part of "Standard Install Set 2."  I don't have these on  my machine (or at least in Word).  In these documents, the fonts are  shown as they were created (such as "AGaramondPro-Regular") but I  think what I see on the screen is not the same font but some kind of  substitution (some TTF).  Needless to say, when I try to edit and send  the document back, it all looks different.

-- Some Adobe Fonts are installed in locations known only to Adobe  Products. They CAN be moved/copied to system locations. Under Windows,  they may be in a variety of places, including being buried a level or  three under the application's folder, under Program Files/Common  Files/Adobe, and other places. I'm not sure exactly where they may be  on Mac systems, but Google should help, or ask the question specifically.

-- Also not that Microsoft products do NOT display all the fonts in a  family. Where InDesign will list ArnoPro and ArnoProBold separately,  MS Word will only display "ArnoPro" and will access "ArnoProBOld" by  using the 'B' button.  If ArnoPro is available and ArnoProBold is NOT,  MSWord will invent its own faux version of Bold. Not what you want!!

1. I guess I need to get these fonts, but maybe they are already on my  computer or can be taken from some other application (such as simple  Adobe Acrobat).

-- See above.

I think these are not true type fonts, which might be the reason for  my problem.

-- Should NOT be a problem. Type 1 OR Opentype fonts are usable under  all MacOSX versions and all Windows OS versions since Windows 2000.  Some glyphs are not accessible by MS products, and won't be until,  POSSIBLY, Office 2010.

I am also concerned that if I do manage to install or activate these  fonts, there would be problems if I send the document to somebody like  me, who would not see them on the screen the same way or be able to  print them the same way.

-- Yes, that's ALWAYS a problem.

(I can send a PDF with the fonts embedded, but even this is  problematic since the "Embed OpenTypes fonts" option in Adobe Acrobat  is gray and does not allow me to put a checkmark there.  Maybe it  means they are embedded automatically, or maybe it means it cannot be  done.)

-- Some fonts restrict embedding, but this is unlikely. Do you have a  full version of Acrobat or only Adobe Reader? Reader is incapable of  embedding fonts, and MS Word can only embed Truetype fonts.

2. I tried, as a test, taking just one OpenType font from a friend  (who is equally ignorant of these matters) to see if it would work on  my computer.  I installed it in Windows and it showed up as an OTF in  the list of Windows font.  It immediately appeared in Word, but it  looked nothing like it was supposed to (was barely legible).  As  another test, I created a PDF out of this Word document.  I checked  "Embed all fonts" but the "Embed OpenType fonts" option was gray and I  couldn't click on it.  In the PDF, the font was substituted with  something completely different and in some cases spaces between  letters in the words appeared.  So it didn't work.

-- You may have to change MSWord options to allow embedding. What did  you use to create the PDF? If the font isn't embedded, of course the  system or application will substitute something else.

3. I don't want to buy the whole Font Folio since I only need a few  basic fonts.  (They seem to come with some much cheaper Adobe  products.)  What's worse, I am not sure even buying the whole library  would work since I want to use the fonts in Word rather than in Adobe  applications.

4. The main thing I want to do is to make changes to the document I  get not without messing up the design/layout.  My problem, however,  starts even before that, since when I open the Word document it  already looks different from what I see in the PDF version.

--- If a received document (PDF or Word file) has embedded SUBSETS of  a font, you will not be able to edit that document unless the full  font is already installed and available. Fonts have an 'embedding'  attribute which allows one of the following: "NO Embedding", "Preview  and Print Embedding Only", "Editable Embedding", and "Installable  Embedding". Embedded fonts are no longer installable by anything, so  the last option is superfluous.

*Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Hope this helps, or at least triggers MORE questions!

- Herb

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just realized I didn't say thank you for all the responses at the time.  Let me do it now.  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines