Exit

Need help to find a program

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola

My friend creat a font and needs to find a program to make it "work"
He creat it in Coral (they are all vectors) ask me for help, but I had never creat a font.

Do I need --or him-- to buy a program?
What is the best one?

Thanks for your help

Daniel Ulysses

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel,

The best for proper font creation in the standard font formats is FontLab for Macintosh and Windows. But it is expensive and has a steep learning curve.

There is other software that is less expensive and has an easier learning curve. But I have no idea about how good these are. All have limitations. Some may have free trial downloads. These include:

FontCreator (Win)
Fontographer (Mac/Win)
ScanFont (Mac/Win)
TypeTool (Mac/Win)

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He already has a program that can make fonts. Corel Draw!

Yes, the best is Fontlab. but he can create a font directly from Corel
Draw like this:

FILE/Export
Save as type: TTF - Truetype font

(In some older versions of Corel Draw, it may be in the File/SaveAs
dialog box instead of in the File/Export box)

You can only save one character at a time to a font, and the process
isn't obvious. Google for

Create fonts Corel Draw

and you'll find many tutorials and explanations of exactly how to do it.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2009 Jan 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herb,
>Save as type: TTF - Truetype font

Interesting that Corel can do that, albeit in a less-than-optimum way. Of course it creates just one font format, and unfortunately, not OpenType. But, I wonder how compliant with font standard specs Corel TT fonts are...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herb,
>Save as type: TTF - Truetype font

Interesting that Corel can do that, albeit in a less-than-optimum way. Of course it creates just one font format, and unfortunately, not OpenType. But, I wonder how compliant with font standard specs Corel TT fonts are, or how it handles kerning, screen optimization, etc.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil -

Corel Draw has had this capability for a long time - since maybe
Version 3 or 4 on Windows 3.1!

Calling it 'less than optimum' makes it sound even BETTER than it
really is!

I've never taken one of its output fonts and looked at it with
something like Font Validator to see what's missing, but a quick guess
would say that it's missing everything but glyphs! Although it would
have to have some default set of parameters (over which the user has
no control whatsoever).

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<lol> So then, better than nothing. But not by much!<br /><br />Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but like a talking dog, don't complain that it can't recite
Shakespeare fluently, but marvel in the fact that it can talk at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear that Corel-ware does have some redeeming features, though....<br /><br />Neil <g>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2009 Jan 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't say anything unkind about CorelDraw in general, but I wouldn't trust a font generated from it as anything more than a novelty.

If "free" is a requirement, the open source "FontForge" is an option. If an inexpensive tool with a more approachable install process is desired, then TypeTool is probably the best of the lot. Of course, FontLab Studio or DTL FontMaster are the high end options.

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 26, 2009 Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that Photoshop, in particular, is very unforgiving about poorly constructed fonts, to the point where the program will not load (in Windows at least) if you have a bad font in your system (even if you don't plan on using it).

I would be very careful about a font created directly from Corel, and would want to test it on several machines (at least) to make sure it doesn't kill Photoshop, before releasing it on the world.

We really don't need any more defective fonts on the Internet, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator can be rather particular, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don,

Photoshop/Mac can be a font prima donna as well. Consider it as a shot across the bow, as sooner or later, the font issue(s), whether duplicate or currupted, will cause grief elsewhere on the computer.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stumbled on this month-old discussion of using Corel Draw to make fonts, and thought of Adobe Illustrator's little-known ability to behave similarly via the evolving technology of SING glyphlets. Like Corel's Save-As-TTF feature, this only works for one glyph at a time -- not surprising as the idea behind SING glyphlets is to add a few characters to an existing font. The fly in the ointment is that for now this only works for recent East Asian versions. The process is the subject of a demonstration (in English and Chinese) over on the CCJK Type blog where I commented that non-CCJK folks would also like to try this out.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 28, 2009 Feb 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SING technology itself works in all versions of InDesign, BUT...

- the Illustrator plug-in to make SING glyphlets only ships with the CJK versions of Illustrator, in Creative Suite configurations that include InDesign

- SING glyphlets are currently supported only in CID-keyed OpenType CFF fonts. So you can't add a glyphlet to a regular OpenType CFF or TrueType font.

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 04, 2009 Mar 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The limitation to CID-keyed (OpenTypeCFF) fonts was another detail I'd failed to grasp: there's a lot going on here. Thank you, Thomas.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines