• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to find the original helvetica type 1 font family collection

New Here ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the original software CD sold by adobe that came with the original Helvetica type 1 family of fonts? When you installed the software it also installed the original basic type 1 fonts. But I am looking for Helvetica specifically. I cannot use the new Open type version sold by Linotype. I need the obsolete version.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 29, 2016 May 29, 2016

The Type 1 Helvetica fonts that form four of the typefaces of the “base 13” fonts of Adobe PostScript are no longer licensed directly by Adobe to end users, for better or for worse!

Also note that the TrueType Helvetica typefaces that are bundled with MacOS are not the same fonts that were distributed by Adobe or that were printer-resident in Adobe PostScript-based printers/RIPs. Although you could conceivably “convert” such a MacOS-format TrueType font to a Windows-based TrueType font with the a

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only considering the use for Windows not Mac OS. I have already located the Mac OS version of the Helvetica type 1 family. But so far I don't know of any way to make that family usable on a Windows machine. Unless someone knows of a special process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are very close approximations to the original Helvetica PS core fonts that you can download from ghostscript.com provided by URW on GNU General Public License (Nimbus Sans L font family in PS-Type-1 Win format). Windows "Arial" is also similar and has the same metrics as Helvetica and Nimbus Sans L.

I have sent you a PM with a link and further information.

Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Great Site. I will keep it in mind as a future resource.

Thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steve, could you PM me the site information as well. I am looking for Helvetica font family, in type 1 format (not OTF or TTF) which contains four fonts called (exactly) Helvetica, Helvetica-Bold, Helvetica-Oblique and Helvetica-Oblique on PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See my response from May 29, 2016!

The website referred to by Steve does not have the origianl Helvetica fonts in Type 1 or any other format. They are not freeware or open source fonts!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Type 1 Helvetica fonts that form four of the typefaces of the “base 13” fonts of Adobe PostScript are no longer licensed directly by Adobe to end users, for better or for worse!

Also note that the TrueType Helvetica typefaces that are bundled with MacOS are not the same fonts that were distributed by Adobe or that were printer-resident in Adobe PostScript-based printers/RIPs. Although you could conceivably “convert” such a MacOS-format TrueType font to a Windows-based TrueType font with the appropriate conversion utility software, in fact, such conversions may not be legal under the MacOS license agreement. Those fonts are not public domain or “free” in any manner.

The OpenType Helvetica LT Std font family, part of the Adobe Font Library, available either as part of the Adobe Font Folio product than can be licensed directly from Adobe or available from other foundries indeed has the same design and metrics as the original Helvetica family shipped by Adobe with PostScript printers. You mention that you “cannot” use that version? Perhaps you might explain what the issues you have are, other than the full font name.

However, the easiest and least expensive way to obtain the fonts that are resident in Adobe PostScript-based printers / RIPs is to simply install the host-based fonts provided by the manufacturer of those printers. Part of the Adobe PostScript license provided to our OEMs provides these OEMs (such as Xerox, Ricoh, etc.) to distribute those fonts on their host software / drivers software distribution. Thus, if you have a printer with actual Adobe PostScript, you should look for the CD/DVD that came with that device and find the installer for that software. Or if you no longer have that software but do have such devices, contact the manufacturer's support organization and try to get a copy of the software. That would solve your problem directly.

All this having been said, you should be aware that although Microsoft still continues to support installation of the older Type 1 fonts and Adobe graphic arts software (including Acrobat) continues to support Type 1 fonts even under Windows 10, you should be aware that the last two versions of Microsoft Office (2013 and 2016) and the newest Microsoft V4 printer drivers no longer provide any support for Type 1 fonts. The same is true for applications from other vendors. Migration to OpenType is most strongly recommended!!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dov. I would love for this client to make the switch to Open type Helvetica, like all other sane corporations. But my small project of theirs will not be of enough importance to them to convince them to make the change. I have a Windows 2000 machine set up and working (slowly, but working). I have a project that is using the type 1 helvetica family of fonts. I would like to make alterations to the projects and then save the files with my changes and give the files back with my updates and not have the other users have to make any font replacement actions. I know I am asking virtually an impossible thing, but I am going to great lengths to make a machine that is free of updates. I was just hoping for a little history lesson on which of the so many old software CD's in my archives I can access and install to get to the font family I am looking for. After looking at about 5 cd's with no luck, I decided I would just go to those who know the history facts. Like I said the machine runs very slowly, It could save me a lot of processing time by putting the correct cd in the first time.

I am not sure I understand what you were saying about the window version of the original Helvetica type 1 family font coming to the user as a Printer Software Installation. I never even considered looking into those old cds. How old would the printer software have to be to contain the font in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

I reread your message, again and again. I think I was understanding you correctly. So, last evening I pulled several of my old printer installation cds. I will be giving them a try soon.

I have spent the last several weeks reading many of your posts to other adobe users. You are terrific in my book. Your wonderful at explaining the very frustrating and confusing world of font management. As you said before, Font is a four letter word!

Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 2000, wow!!!

Yes, I understand why you need to do what you are doing.

Good luck with extracting those fonts.

Let us know how you do and if you need further assistance!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines