• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No small caps in ITC Mendoza

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased ITC Mendoza from Adobe for the same price as fonts.com fairly recently. I learned today that it does not have small caps, but the fonts.com font by the same name and for the same price does. What is going on???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customer support is not available, I see, for this nor are returns. I do not know any other company that sells fonts that has the same lack of support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that you licensed this font directly from Adobe's website. If you look at the listing for ITC Mendoza on Adobe's web site at <http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayFontPackage&code=1073>, you will see that it is very explicit in terms of what characters are included. It does not include small caps, old style figures, etc. If you licensed the font by calling Adobe, you obviously should have asked first.

The version available on fonts.com is a newer version of the ITC Mendoza for which additional glyphs were added including small caps and old style figures. That version of the font has not been made available to Adobe to license.

You claim that “customer support is not available, I see, for this nor are returns.” Did you actually try calling Adobe? You should contact Adobe Customer Support (not Technical Support), indicate that you mistakenly purchased a license for this font (make sure you have all the information about the transaction from when you licensed the font) and that you would like to return the purchase for a refund since the font doesn't have the character set you need.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not discover the lack of small caps in time.  (just missed the deadline: web site says no returns) Adobe does not accept returns. It is interesting your company chose to sell an older version for the same price as other ITC font resellers sold the updated version with the same name. I checked one of the other sellers to make sure it had small caps and bought from Adobe due to my long history of purchases from Adobe. Obviously this was a mistake. Order number: AD006830546 - just so you will see the date of the order, the name of the font, and of course will know that every other reseller had the updated version on date of sale (at the same price as Adobe).

The web site you yourself indicated says includes standard open type set. The name on every other web site is "standard opentype" but they (not Adobe) gives a full character map. Personally, I think this is false advertising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe web site indeed does provide the entire character set. It does not show that the font has any small caps. Adobe is not falsely advertising this font.

Did you try calling Adobe Customer Support and explaining the situation? Try that and get back to me with a private message if they won't help you.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2013 Mar 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct that the character set on Adobe's site is marked as incomplete but there is a small box one can click on to access the full set. I guess I should have checked to see that the font available from Adobe and Monotype sites were similarly named and similarly priced but were in fact different. So it is my fault and I missed the deadline for returns by a week (as your customer service made sure I understood). I will be much more careful in future about ordering non Adobe fonts from your site and not assume that the same named font at the same price is, in fact, the same font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For others: this was not resolved. Go one day late on returns and you are out of luck with Adobe. Do not assume as I did that the full priced fonts sold through the Adobe store from monotype, Linotype, ITC, etc. will have the features you get for the same price from myfonts, font.com, etc. I am guessing looking at the font files from Adobe and Fonts.com that Adobe sold me the 2005 version in 2013 with a more recent version being out for at least two years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines