• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

non-reduntant font

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for some non-reduntant, sans serif, proportionally spaced fonts.  That is:

1)  Courier is non-reduntant (each letter and number is different), but it has serifs and is fixed width

2)  Arial is sans serif and proportionally spaced, but redundant.  For example using Arial for the word  "Illustrator"  upper case "i" and lower case "L" look the same.

A font like Arial would be fine if it had an upper case "i" that looked like "I".  It would be nice to have a font table listing the various attributes of the common fonts

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't mention what you need the font for, so I'll just mention the first one that pops into my head:  ITC Officina Sans (from Adobe).

AAAAAA_itc-officina_sans.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "ITC"  font might do the trick.  I need it for technical writing.  It is a nice and attractive font.  To my eye, I find that the upper case J looks like a backwards "C".  The upper case "i" is great.  The lower case "L" has a bit of a hook on it which is a bit non-standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course there's also Thomas Phinney's Hypatia Sans Pro;

AAAAA_Hypatia.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, this hypatia font is a really attractive font.  At the risk of sounding hypercritical:

1)  The upper case "j" dips below the line

2)  The upper case "i" and lower case "L" still look the same

3)  The upper case "w" is non-standard.

So, it's a non-starter.

I'm looking for a clean (sans serif) font in which all letters are unique and quickly recognizable for technical writing.  At times, the font size may need to be small and sometimes non-native English speakers will be involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you found something useful in my suggestions.

Don't worry about sounding hypercritical.  I also find Hypatia very nice, and it works very nicely in English, Spanish and Russian.  I can't use it to set German text, however, as I personally don't care for its German Es-Zet ß glyph.  (I don't like that glyph in Verdana either, so I've momentarily switched to Arial for this post.)

Though I've said this at least twice before in these forums, discussing the characteristics of various sans serif faces strikes me as akin to having to discuss the merits of individual types of enemas.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines