• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenType problems at the printer

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2005 Feb 01, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Have a small question if any one knows about this problem, we are using OpenType fonts and we are about to change printer. More or less accidental i found a PDF on their Webpage... and guess what, they say they can't print OTF, hmmm. The most frustrating is that they say they can't check the PDfs and see if there problem will occur

Is this just to accept and change the printer or is there a solution? When I try to talk to them their attitude are more or less... "we can´t help you, change the font or get missing letters"... (we work in many different languages so this is not an option)

hope some one knows...
Ã…sa
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 03, 2005 Feb 03, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's complete nonsense for them to say they can't print PDFs with OpenType fonts in them, if they can print PDFs with Type 1 fonts in them. Type 1 and OpenType fonts are stored the exact same way in PDF, and you literally can't tell which kind it is, except by the name.

Now, there are ways of making PDFs that may give problems to some PostScript "clone" RIPs, and other issues like that. But they are largely independent of font format going into the PDF.

If you present them with this information, and they still won't budge, I suggest you change printers.

Regards,

T

Thomas Phinney
Program Manager
Fonts & Core Technologies
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2005 Feb 13, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If they can't print OpenType, it must mean they have old, out of date
equipment and aren't willing to pay to update.

If they can't check for this they either haven't heard of
pre-flighting, or won't pay for it. Or don't know how to set it up.

Frankly, it would not fill me with confidence. If you don't choose
them, you should let them know why, it might enourage them to deal
with their issues.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines