• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OTF fonts don't appear under Windows XP

New Here ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have loaded several OpenType fonts under Windows XP, but only a few actually appear in font menus in applications. For example, we have 27 faces for Univers Condensed installed, but only 11 show up in application menus. My assumption was that there was no difference between Mac and PC. The fonts all show up fine under Mac. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your assumption was (sadly) incorrect, though most of us wish it were so! While OpenType is fabulous and cross-platform, it doesn't change the fact that fonts work differently on Windows than they do on Mac OS. This is documented pretty thoroughly....

OpenType readme:
http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/OTReadMe.html#Anchor-WindowsIssues

OpenType User Guide:
http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/pdfs/OTGuide.pdf
(p. 2 under "One cross-platform font file")

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2008 May 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas:
Thanks for your reply. I read that this is not an issue that affects Photoshop, InDesign, or Illustrator...is that because they have built-in graphics and font rendering engines that are still lacking in the applications acquired from Macromedia? Can we expect this to change with the next version of Flash? Also, is the best approach to sharing Flash files between Mac and Windows is to have the Mac users apply the "fake" styling at their end?

We met in person last year at the end of the session you conducted on type at Adobe MAX in Chicago, on the last day of the conference. I walked out with you and Adam Pratt. Perhaps you remember me. I may look to get your direct email through our Adobe Sales rep to follow up on this and other topics. You may have given me your card but I cannot find it now. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 22, 2008 May 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes, that's why it doesn't affect those long-time Adobe applications. I can't really comment on changes in future versions of Adobe applications, I'm afraid.

For Flash, there are some issues in how Flash handles names across platforms that may make it difficult, but if it will work at all, that's the right way. Not that it's "fake" styling at all: styles can get at the correct fonts as long as they are style linked. I used to use the styles on Mac OS all the time, because I needed to make documents that would be cross-platform with Windows.

Although I don't object to direct emails, in general I prefer to answer questions in public forums like this one. This has at least two advantages:

1) Somebody else might give the correct answer and save me some time. :)

2) Other people will read the correct answer and gain something from it.

Also, I have some immediate deadlines and am about to be traveling for a week, so I may be scarce for a bit.

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines