• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overwriting existing fonts by type kit fonts?

LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older, non TypeKit license of – let’s say – Myriad on my machine. This font isn’t activated all the time, but only when needed.

What happens, when I forget activating my existing Myriad, and I open a document, which needs this font? In InDesign CC 2014 a dialogue pops up, asking to install the missing font via TypeKit.

What, if I do this? Will TypeKit Myriad overwrite my Myriad, what means eventually, the font is gone, when I cancel my CC subscription?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Hi mac_heibu,

Fonts synced from Typekit will not overwrite a font of the same name that you have installed locally.  If the local font is deactivated, you will be able to sync the same one from Typekit without any problems.  (If the local font is active, you'll see an error message in Creative Cloud: "A font with the same name is already installed.".)

When you want to use your installed version again, remove the font from your Typekit desktop selections so it is not longer synced to your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mac_heibu,

Fonts synced from Typekit will not overwrite a font of the same name that you have installed locally.  If the local font is deactivated, you will be able to sync the same one from Typekit without any problems.  (If the local font is active, you'll see an error message in Creative Cloud: "A font with the same name is already installed.".)

When you want to use your installed version again, remove the font from your Typekit desktop selections so it is not longer synced to your computer.  Then re-activate the font locally in your font management software (e.g. Font Book).

I hope that this helps; let me know if you have any other questions!  Best,

-- liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Liz, for this information. That is, how it should work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Liz,

I am having a similar issue but when I remove typekit font (un-sync), I get this AdobeFnt18.lst in place of Justus Pro font. It seems that is replaced my locally installed version to the typekit version in current packaged InDesign files as well as ones we had archived before trying to use typekit. How can we recover our local version of the font?

Additionally, any attempt to download font file is converted to AdobeFnt18.lst.

Thanks,

Rafa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines