• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

porting type 1 adobe fonts from win xp to mac

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several type 1 postscript fonts (purchased from Adobe in 1999) on my pc and want to install them on my mac OSX 10.6.7. I brought one font onto the mac desktop and the file extension automatically switched from .pfm to .pfb (which I assume is what I want to happen?). However, the font will not install: Font Book does not recognize Type 1 fonts.

What do I do? All help appreciated. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although Adobe applications under MacOS recognize Windows Type 1 fonts in their own private font directories (you need both the .PFM and the .PFB files installed in the same directory), MacOS X does not itself natively support such fonts.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. To clarify ... do you mean that only Adobe apps will recognize type 1 on a mac? Do I need to convert the font to some other format? I did purchase it from Adobe and would assume that it would be able to be installed on any operating system for use in any program.

By private font directories do you mean the directories installed with Adobe programs, InDesign, for example?

When I ported my one sample type1 font onto my mac, the extension automatically switched from pfm to pfb. How do I duplicate the file and change the extension to have the two copies you refer to?

Editing with another question: I see the typeface I paid for in 1999 is now available in Open Type. Maybe I should just buy the open type version which I assume is available system wide on both mac and pc?

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, only Adobe applications recognize Windows Type 1 fonts on a Macintosh. Macintosh Type 1 fonts (that use resource fork-based files) are still supported by MacOS as well as Adobe applications. Unfortunately, the fonts were licensed in both Windows and Macintosh formats and they were not compatible. We would strongly recommend against any attempts to convert fonts. The results of such conversions rarely match exactly what you would have gotten directly from Adobe for the target platform.

Yes, you are correct in terms of what I meant by private font directories.

I have no idea why file suffixes would have changed when you copied the files. (How did you actually copy them?)

Adobe stopped active licensing of Type 1 fonts ten years ago or so. For cross-platform compatibility, we strongly recommend migration to OpenType fonts. Although Adobe applications will support Type 1 fonts for the indefinite future (we must do so in order to fully and properly support the PDF file format and existing PostScript and EPS files), the same is not necessarily true for operating system platforms which are committed to both OpenType CFF and OpenType TrueType formats going into the future, but not necessarily Type 1 fonts (regardless of platform).

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dov,

Now I fully understand. I would prefer to port the type 1 font in question since it has 4 wonderful variations which are not included in the Open Type version, but I recognize that something I bought in 1999 may not be endlessly useful in 2011. So, I'll buy the open type version

Again, thanks for your complete explanation,

Cathy

Oh, as for the mysterious extension change, all I did is drag the font from my pc desktop to the desktop of a the networked mac. Strange, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I may ask, exactly what Adobe Type 1 font or font family are your referring to?

As far as I know, virtually all the features and variations of the Type 1 fonts were included in the OpenType versions. If you are talking about the "expert sets" with special old style figures, small caps, and swash faces, those additional glyphs have been rolled up into the base OpenType fonts which support Unicode as opposed to having everything map to keyboard ASCII!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov, I'm referring to Poetica, which includedPoetica Chancery 1, 2, 3, and 4. I particularly like version 4.  There was nothing that I saw in the Open Type description of this font that indicated these variations of the font face itself. Did I miss something?

Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cathy,

Poetica Std Regular has all those sets. Check out the Glyph Complement PDF. The sets are implemeted as Stylistic Sets, which you can access in InDesign. In Illustrator you can get to the glyphs by using the Glyph panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll also add to Miguel's response that accessing the variants is much easier as changes in which Stylistic Set you use as opposed to having to change which font you access. But indeed, all the glyphs are in the font.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to you both. I guess I'll have to get used to Open Type. I really appreciate all the helpful information!

Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2011 Apr 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one problem I've noticed with OpenType fonts (and maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed more light on this issue) is that I have not found a way to, for example, type a whole sentence in small caps. It seems like the small caps glyphs are there, but can only be selected one letter at a time. This can be a severe limitation for some kinds of typesetting, but maybe I'm missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2011 Apr 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alansky1, that's not normal, and it necessarily relates to the application software you are using to typeset the text. You haven't told us what that is, but it's not really appropriate for this thread, so please start another one. (It's not even really appropriate for this forum, which is about the type in general, not in some specific application. If your question is about InDesign, asking in the InDesign forum, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just an update on my original query.  I have now added all my Win type one fonts to the InDesign font folder in CS5 and all is well with the world. I doubt that I'll have desperate need of any of those fonts in non-Adobe applications, so for now, will not be upgrading them to open type. Thanks again to all of you who helped me understand this issue.

Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines