• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PostScript or TrueType in 2015?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm organizing my fonts, and wondering if it's still the norm to keep the PostScript versions over the TrueType versions for print? I'm running Mac OS 10.10 using CC. Any info would be helpful

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

To start out with, what do you mean by PostScript fonts? The fact is that TrueType fonts are every bit as much “PostScript fonts” as are Type 1 fonts (assuming that is what you mean by PostScript fonts). TrueType fonts are native to PostScript as well as PostScript and have been so for at least twenty years now!

In choosing fonts, you should be choosing on the basis of the design merits of the fonts as well as the reliability and reputation of the font vendor. A well-designed and executed TrueTyp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To start out with, what do you mean by PostScript fonts? The fact is that TrueType fonts are every bit as much “PostScript fonts” as are Type 1 fonts (assuming that is what you mean by PostScript fonts). TrueType fonts are native to PostScript as well as PostScript and have been so for at least twenty years now!

In choosing fonts, you should be choosing on the basis of the design merits of the fonts as well as the reliability and reputation of the font vendor. A well-designed and executed TrueType font will print every bit as well as a Type 1 font and vice versa with regards to use on-screen!

What you should be seriously considering these days is use of OpenType fonts. OpenType fonts are in two flavours, OpenType CFF fonts have Bezier curve outlines, comparable to the outlines used in Type 1 fonts and OpenType TrueType fonts have quadratic curves similar to the the outlines used in TrueType fonts. OpenType fonts of both flavours are cross-platform compatible, unlike the old Type 1 fonts and MacOS TrueType and .dfont fonts.

You should also be aware that although old style Type 1 fonts continue to be supported in Adobe applications (and will always be supported in PostScript and PDF), the latest versions of MacOS don't support them nor do recent versions of Microsoft Office applications on both platforms.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Thank you so much for all the information!

Yes, I did mean Type 1 fonts. I do use OpenType where available but my old font library has only Type 1 and TrueType. So it sounds like I should keep the TrueType versions if Type 1 aren't supported with all software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that even if you have a Type 1 font and a TrueType font with the exact same names (not the file name, but the internal font name), that doesn't mean that they totally match each other in terms of glyph complement, metrics, and even design. In other words, they are usually not fully interchangeable for an existing design. Be careful what you discard!   

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good point! Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines