• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with "size" feature (FDK for Windows)

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2006 Jan 31, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems there is a problem with the OpenType "size" feature, at least in the current Windows release of the AFDKO:

The values in the resulting otf file are 256 times too large (see example below), so I think there is some problem with the data type.

This happens with the sample files for Minion as supplied by Adobe, as well as with my own files. The same error occurs in Fontlab Studio 5 for Windows (which, of course, uses the FDK code).

I noticed the error by checking the otf files in FontForge
(FontLab Studio 5 seems able to process the "size" information from a .fea file, but I couldn't get it to display the information).
Original MinionPro fonts (as shipped by Adobe) are o.k.,
all files from the FDK show the wrong information.

Has anyone else noticed this error? Is there any easy remedy?

For example, with the following definition in a .fea file:

feature size {
parameters
110 # design size (decipoints)
3 # subfamily identifier
84 # range start (exclusive, decipoints)
130 # range end (inclusive, decipoints)
;
sizemenuname "Regular"; # Windows Unicode menu name
sizemenuname 1 "Regular"; # Mac Roman menu name
} size;

the design size comes out as 2816.0 (i.e. 11 times 256),
and the range as 2150.4 -- 3328.0.

Regards,

Johannes Kuester
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2006 Feb 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I will check on this. If this is a bug in the AFDKO for Windows, this is a good time to report it; I hope to be done with the next release within two weeks, and will be able to fix this issue. Also, with the next release of the FDK, it will write the 'size' feature according to the OpenType spec. You may recall that the current FDK incorrectly writes the size featureParam field as an offset to the start of the FeatureList table, rather than as an offset to the start of the 'size' feature subtable. Any future version of Adobe software that actually uses the 'size' feature will be able to detect and use both versions.

- Read Roberts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines