• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about the license of the Helvetica fonts that came preinstalled on my OS X Mountain Lion

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2014 Jun 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a hobby illustrator and I currently work in Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Recently, I've decided that I'm going to switch to Linux Mint for various reasons including a more responsive and customizable system. However, I still want to use some of the fonts that came preinstalled with Mountain Lion, including the Helvetica, Helvetica CY, and Helvetica Neue font families.

Now, as I understand it, the license for the fonts included with Mountain Lion cannot be transferred over if I export one of the fonts from the Font Book app and install it in Linux Mint. My questions are:

1. Is this true, or does the license remain valid even if I copy the fonts to Linux Mint?

2. If not, does the license remain valid if I somehow access OS X's fonts from within Linux Mint and use them without copying them over?

Thanks,

Emily

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Since this is absolutely NOT a forum associated with fonts from vendors other than Adobe, we cannot give you a definitive response to this.

You should consult the EULA (End User License Agreement) for Apple's operating systems and see if they address the issue of the license for the bundled fonts. If there is nothing mentioned there, I suggest you contact Apple directly for their official response to your query.

Generally speaking, I would be amazed if they tell you that once you have a license to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is absolutely NOT a forum associated with fonts from vendors other than Adobe, we cannot give you a definitive response to this.

You should consult the EULA (End User License Agreement) for Apple's operating systems and see if they address the issue of the license for the bundled fonts. If there is nothing mentioned there, I suggest you contact Apple directly for their official response to your query.

Generally speaking, I would be amazed if they tell you that once you have a license to any version of MacOS, you have rights to use the bundled fonts on any other platform for the indefinite future.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines