• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recommended font to accompany SignPainter

Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the font SignPainter would be a good choice to complement this book's subtitle. The irony is that I used SignPainter for the subtitle, not the title.

I'd like to use a different font for the subtitle; presumably a sans-serif font. But do I want something robust that really stands out, or something more artistic? Can anyone recommend some fonts that complement SignPainter? The font I chose just doesn't look right to me.

Then again, SignPainter might not have been a good choice, either, If you have have any better suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Hi @Geobop First, is "Fallacy Pro" the title of the book? And "The Art of Painting Deception" is the subtitle? If so, for my taste, I don't like the Sign Painter script font for the title and author name. Typically, book titles are not set in script or italics because that's considered a secondary font style. There are no hard and fast rules, of course.

Also, the use of different colors for each letter in the first word only is a bit contrived. Overall, I think there are too many colors on the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Geobop First, is "Fallacy Pro" the title of the book? And "The Art of Painting Deception" is the subtitle? If so, for my taste, I don't like the Sign Painter script font for the title and author name. Typically, book titles are not set in script or italics because that's considered a secondary font style. There are no hard and fast rules, of course.

Also, the use of different colors for each letter in the first word only is a bit contrived. Overall, I think there are too many colors on the cover. I realize it's a book about paint and color. So you want some wonderful colors that pop and are yet harmonized. The cherries stand out compared to all the other elements. Is that the "deception" the topic relates to? If so, maybe this graphic should be more prominently placed instead of with the arm tucked behind the subtitle?

As for other font choices, Adobe gives some very good pairing suggestions as a place to start. https://fonts.adobe.com/recommendations

https://fonts.adobe.com/collections

Just off the top of my head, maybe try Adelle for the title https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/adelle,

and Trade Gothic Next for the subtitle: https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/trade-gothic-next

JainLemos_2-1652650873395.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, great tips.

The cherries and strawman reprsent the popular fallacies known as cherry picking and the strawman fallacy.

I hired professionals to design covers for half a dozen books I'm working on. I've learned so much, I wanted to take another stab at designing some additional covers myself, but I don't know if I'll ever get there.

Fonts are a special mystery, though the pieces are beginning to fall into place. I was just thinking of hiring someone to recommend fonts for my various books and websites, so the links you have gave me will be a big help.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, I'm glad these are helpful resources for you! Let us know how it goes for you and what fonts you end up using for this project. ~ Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the links you posted and almost immedialy spied a font that caught my attention - Whomp. I like SignPainter, but it has the stigma of being a "system font." Whomp would be more unique, and it looks pretty cool. I changed the subtitle and my name to Future for the time being.

Although Future is a system font, too, I believe it's pretty popular, and I do like to the look of it. I may make it the default font for headers on my political sites.

The most obvious problem with my cover is probably the fact that it's so busy, or cluttered. However, I kind of like it because it's a reminder that there's so much going on in the world of fallacy - the wheels in your head are franticaly spinning in a desperate attempt to make sense out of the words of a propagandist who hits you with two fallacies in a row ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, glad you found some good suggestions there! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines