Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render Glyp Data from a TrueType Character

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it possible to draw a character on screen with only the Glyph Data from the glyf table in the TrueType file?

I have been searching and found soms API's that can render glyphs. Most of them need acces to the .ttf file.

Hope somseone can help me. If my question isn't clear enough or you need more info, just ask.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't specify what platform you are on, which would be a necessary piece of information.

There's a reason that most APIs don't do this.

The hinting code for the TTF is not in the glyf table, but requires a number of other tables (prep, prgm, CVT, just off the top of my head). Most rendering engines for fonts will do a truly awful job at small to medium sizes without hinting code present in the font. Say, at 24 or 30 px or smaller.

There are exceptions to the need for hints. Apple's Quartz rendering usually ignores the hints in the font anyway (except at truly tiny sizes, unless the user has tweaked that cut-off size). The FreeType rendering engine can be set to ignore hints and auto-hint on the fly. If the rendered size is large enough (exact size depends on font and rendering mode/engine), unhinted fonts may render acceptably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines