• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rupee symbol - How to add to existing Adobe font

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

India has introduced a new symbol for the rupee. When can we see it incorporated in Adobe fonts? I use Minion Web Pro and Myriad Web Pro for my work. Or can I create my own, give it a unicode symbol / keyboard shortcut and add it to the Minion and Myriad fonts on my computer?

The new rupee symbol can be viewed here.

http://news.techworld.com/sme/3232184/india-chooses-new-rupee-symbol/?olo=rss

(Incidentally, it is a mix of the roman "R" and Hindi "ra".)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uppai,

There are already several Unicode codepoints as well as symbols for the Rupee available, see here

http://www.decodeunicode.org/en/u+20a8

I guess the new symbol will get a new position in Unicode, because of that it might take possibly years until the sign can be found in wide-spread fonts.

If I remember the invention of the Euro symbol, Adobe or Microsoft created some sans and serif Euro fonts with just that glyph on every ASCII position. Maybe something similar will happen here.

Whether you can or are allowed to change your licensed fonts is a matter of technical ability/tools and possibly local legislation, I can not comment on that. I would say it is the easiest and most compatible way to use a special font for this new symbol.

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For more info than you may want, see:

http://typophile.com/node/72290

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a while before you see this glyph added to various fonts from Adobe and elsewhere.

The worst thing you could do, though, is to hack up existing fonts by yourself to add such a glyph leaving you with non-standard fonts. A much better approach would be to find a font or at worst make a one glyph font with that particular glyph in it and use that when you need that symbol.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a functional, if somewhat inelegant, solution available in all versions of MS Windows. A built-in utility, EUDCEDIT is a private character editor that allows you to create a glyph and associate it with one or more installed fonts. It does NOT modify the fonts.

To access the utility, click on START / RUN

and enter EUDCEDIT.

You have to select a code point in the personal use area (E000 to F8FF). Once you do that and say OK, the utility has a fairly decent help file that should take you through the rest of the process.

You can also google for EUDCEDIT to find a variety of hints and guides; ome of which are excellent

- Herb VB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe that this function will work with any Adobe application or other graphic arts applications that do nor rely on Windows' font handling services.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov - re: Might not work with Adobe Apps...

Hard to say. Part of the implementation is an actual font in the C:\Windows\Fonts\ directory. But there's also a  reference file put there. I believe that the font can also be accessed directly (using Charmap to copy and paste, if necessary) but that's even LESS elegant. A little experimentation is in order!

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Strongly agree!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines