• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I convert old postscript fonts to open type?

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Folks, I'd like some opinions.

I am starting fresh and have recently upgraded to a new computer, all new design software, and font management program. I have several old postscript fonts that I have amassed over the years and still often use.  Before I spend the time moving and reorganizing all my fonts, I wondered if it would be worthwhile to convert my old postscript fonts to open type (with a font converter like Trans Type). Or, continue to use them in their postscript form?  Has anyone here converted postscript to otf and experienced any issues with functionality/rendering?  Buying all new open type fonts is not an option right now.

TOPICS
Font rendering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some personal opinions:

(1)  You are starting off fresh so don't handicap yourself with old Type 1 fonts. OpenType fonts are not only fully cross-platform compatible, but typically provide many benefits including increased glyph complements (often supporting many additional languages and alternate characters including lower-case/old style numerals, small caps, swashes, etc.) with Unicode support. OpenType also supports integration of typographical features of such fonts with layout software – InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop all incorporate support for OpenType layout features, none of which are available in the older Type 1 fonts. Unicode support in OpenType assures consistency in character sets from one font to the next, something that wasn't available in older Type 1 fonts!

(2)  Some non-design software such as Microsoft Office has fully dropped support for Type 1 fonts (although for now, only on Windows). Plus, Type 1 fonts are not cross-platform compatible.

(3)  Yes, there are some “font converters” that will create an OpenType version of Type 1 fonts, but you certainly don't gain any of the OpenType features outlined in (1) above. In the case of fonts in the Adobe Type Library (not the Adobe Fonts service), numerous fixes and augmentations were made before releasing the OpenType versions of previously released Type 1 fonts. The “font converters” won't provide those fixes and augmentations.

(4)  In conjunction with (1) through (3) above, it has been nearly 20 years since the last Type 1 fonts were issued by Adobe with all new / updated fonts being issued in OpenType format. You are starting off “fresh” with a new system and new software. Don't skimp on your digital assets!

(5)  If you are subscribing to the Adobe Creative Cloud (such as for InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop), if you are tight on cash, why not take advantage of the Adobe Fonts service that provides access to over 1200 font families including all the Adobe Originals fonts? Yes, it is true that these fonts are not installed permanently on your system (they are temporarily installed on your system but accessible by all applications), but if you feel a need to purchase a perpetual license and install the fonts on your system later, you can do so. (In other words, Adobe Fonts let's you “try out” a vast array of fonts at no cost.)

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a large number of Postscript Type 1 fonts from Adobe about 15-20 years ago with a perpetual desktop license. Can I download the OpenType versions of them or do I need to buy them again? I do not use Adobe products any longer -- I use the Affinity suite -- so CC is not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you bought licenses to use the Type 1 fonts, not the fonts themselves. When Adobe reissued the most of the fonts in OpenType CFF format in the early 2000's, there was no free “upgrade” to the OpenType CFF format versions of the fonts. The fonts were not just OpenType CFF versions of the Type 1 fonts, but many had changes to encoding to conform to UniCode standards as well as support for OpenType layout features. If you need OpenType CFF versions of those Type 1 fonts, you will need to re-license them in that format. The Adobe Originals fonts (i.e., those designed by Adobe itself and not relicensed from other font foundries) can be licensed via https://www.fontspring.com/foundry/adobe . For the other fonts, you will need to license them via other vendors/sources like fonts.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe considered that texts maybe reflow after switching to open type font. I have an archive of 30 years of books. Reflow would be disastrous. It would mean redesign all titles which publishers are never going to pay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Adobe Type 1 Font Announcement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE — Adobe has made an announcement with regards to ongoing support for Type 1 fonts. Please see Adobe Ends Support for Type 1 Fonts for Content Editing & Creation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines