Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some Adobe fonts not working in Yosemite

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've just upgraded to Yosemite on my 2013 iMac. Some of the Adobe fonts no longer appear in my menus. So trying to fix that I redownloaded them from my Adobe account. When I try to install them by double-clicking, say, "UniveConLigObl", nothing happens.

I was getting a message from Font Book that the fonts I was trying to reinstall were damaged, but since clearing out my font cache (both through Safe Boot and through a Terminal command), nothing at all happens.

I've been on the line to Apple tech support and haven't found any resolution. We've tried:

• Clearing the font cache through Safe Boot;
  • Clearing the font cache through a Terminal command; and
  • Running Disk Utility.

Nothing has worked so far.

Thanks for your interest.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi Dan,

Going forward, if you are attempting to use Type 1 fonts, either MacOS or Windows flavors, you need to put the font files in the application-specific directories.

For example, for InDesign, you need to go to

Applications/Adobe InDesign [Version]/Fonts

where [Version] is CS6, CC, CC 2014, etc. as appropriate. Similarly, you would need to do this for other Adobe applications as well using the other applications' particular private font directories. (Note that if you are dealing with a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd almost bet that these are old type 1 fonts (as opposed to TrueType or OpenType fonts) given the file name.

Recent MacOS 10.x versions no longer support Type 1 fonts although Adobe applications do continue to provide such support.

Can we assume that the “menus” you refer to are in applications such as Microsoft Office and not Adobe applications?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Thanks for your insight. The font I'm citing is indeed a Postscript Type 1 font. However, the fonts are *not* showing up in InDesign CS6, and they were showing up in Mavericks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

Going forward, if you are attempting to use Type 1 fonts, either MacOS or Windows flavors, you need to put the font files in the application-specific directories.

For example, for InDesign, you need to go to

Applications/Adobe InDesign [Version]/Fonts

where [Version] is CS6, CC, CC 2014, etc. as appropriate. Similarly, you would need to do this for other Adobe applications as well using the other applications' particular private font directories. (Note that if you are dealing with a “packaged” InDesign or Illustrator document, Type 1 fonts in the appropriate fonts subdirectory still continue to work).

Note that for Type 1 fonts, if you are using Windows-flavor Type 1 fonts, you must put both the .pfb and .pfm files in the directory. If you are using MacOS Type 1 fonts, you must put both the outline file and one of the corresponding screen fonts in the directory (the screen font contains font metrics used for layout).

For better or worse, it is really a good time to accelerate migration to cross-platform OpenType fonts.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, Dov. I been searching for several days for the answer and you are the only one who has solved it! THANK YOU!

I see that a great number of Type 1 fonts have been put into the "Fonts (Removed)" folder of my Mac upon moving from Mavericks to Yosemite. I imagine these will need to be moved into the Fonts folder(s), too. It seems inelegant to have to move to the fonts folders of every application, but I'm not the one who owns the global software company. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to be able to help. Just so you don't feel like this was something obvious that you missed, although I knew generally what was going on, I actually got on my Mac and made sure that what I was telling you was indeed what was going on.

Remember that “font” is a four letter word beginning with an ‘F’ ...   

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines