Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something fishy with Caslon Pro Bold

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a weird problem with bold Caslon Pro in Word 2013. If I use "save as PDF" the numbers 0-9 turn into gibberish. Print to PDF works fine though!?

I have attached a test document caslon.docx, also save as PDF result named caslon.pdf as well as print to PDF result named caslon2.pdf.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Here are the files: http://adobe.ly/1C1Dois

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

This is a known problem with Microsoft's “save as PDF.”

None of the Microsoft Office applications that natively generate PDF embed any OpenType CFF fonts (i.e., OpenType fonts with Type 1 style Bezier outlines) or even properly embed the font name such that the fonts can be accessed for display and print Acrobat/Reader or embedded subsequently in Acrobat Pro with Preflight.

Although Adobe has alerted Microsoft to this problem (which also occurs in all earlier versions of Microsoft “save as PDF”),

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a known problem with Microsoft's “save as PDF.”

None of the Microsoft Office applications that natively generate PDF embed any OpenType CFF fonts (i.e., OpenType fonts with Type 1 style Bezier outlines) or even properly embed the font name such that the fonts can be accessed for display and print Acrobat/Reader or embedded subsequently in Acrobat Pro with Preflight.

Although Adobe has alerted Microsoft to this problem (which also occurs in all earlier versions of Microsoft “save as PDF”), Microsoft has refused so far to fix the bug.

The workaround is very simple. Acrobat (either Standard or Pro) for Windows adds a PDFMaker facility into Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook that properly generates PDF (via Save as Adobe PDF function). The fonts are properly embedded.

- Dov

PS: There are a whole bunch of other known shortcomings of Microsoft's PDF save functionality.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines