• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The legal status of the fonts packaged with the trial version of CS5.5 after expiry

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

This is basically a question of conscience: I recently had the 30 day trial version of CS5.5, and was surprised to find that after the trial expired the fonts included in the demo package did not “self destruct” but continued to be available on my system. Does this mean that I can legitimately keep them on my computer (strictly for personal use)? The situation seems somewhat paradoxical – I can’t imagine Adobe simply giving these fonts away, yet I also can’t imagine them expecting people to hunt the fonts down and delete them independently once the trial period runs out. (Obviously they hope people will buy the full product, but unfortunately that proved not to be an option for me at the moment.) I didn't see anything about this in the initial terms and conditions when installing the trial package and cannot find any official stance on this in the documentation, so unless I missed something, it would seem that Adobe has no ground to ask people to manually remove the fonts in this situation. I would appreciate your advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2011 Jul 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's licensing system is unable to control fonts that were installed on your computer as part of the trial of the CS programs/suite you have installed. Technically and morally, you have no right to continue to use the fonts that were installed. Adobe obviously hopes that you will purchase what you tested. It is not acting as big brother and scanning your system for bits and pieces to remove from your system. I do not know if the program uninstaller removes the fonts it installed or not. I assume that Adobe is would like people to remove fonts they are not licensed to use, but they probably understand that some people might continue to use the fonts.

Michael Kazlow (not an official spokesperson for Adobe)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, thank you for your quick response. It was also my gut feeling that it is inappropriate to keep the fonts (and I have now deleted them by hand). My post was more an expression of surprise that Adobe seems not to have foreseen this situation. Fair enough, they hope people will buy the product, but there are enough legitimate reasons why that may not be possible to warrant contingency planning. (For me, the deciding factor was the discovery that InDesign does not support Arabic, meaning I would need the Middle Eastern version which is not available at educational prices.)

In answer to your question, the uninstaller does not remove the fonts. So if it is the case that for technical or privacy reasons the software cannot deal with the fonts automatically, but Adobe does want people in this situation to remove the fonts, the documentation ought to draw attention to this explicitly – at the very least point people to the relevant list so they know which fonts to delete. I can imagine many not noticing that the fonts had been installed at all. It simply seems strange that this question is not addressed directly anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erhp,

So if it is the case that for technical or privacy reasons the software cannot deal with the fonts automatically

A rather obvious reason could be that any or all of the fonts may have been acquired legally before the installation, possibly/probably as downloads, or with other applications. The outcry of such an invasive act as deleting all fonts (not specifically asked for) included in a trial version would not leave Adobe unscathed.

The possible, and possibly inadvertent, misuse of such fonts may be seen as a risk worth taking, especially when knowing that many breaches of font licenses occur, sometimes through negligence (such as sending the fonts used along with files for print/editing/elaboration instead of embedding them in PDFs or outlining them), even by otherwise knowledgeable and careful users.

Hopefully, you have been able to discern between fonts that were and were not installed already, before the trial version.

Said by someone never having downloaded Adobe trial versions and always having embedded fonts in PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, thank you for your helpful response. It is a good point that people may have already legitimately owned the fonts before installing the trial.

Presumably there is little left to say about the issue; it simply remains a mystery why it isn't mentioned anywhere in official documentation. The risk of inadverdent misuse would be significantly reduced if they gave clear information about the trial's contents and their expectations from users upon its termination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, erhp.

Many years ago, I bought the fairest font, along with its SC&OSF sister font, only to find out that it was included in Illustrator; in other applications, it shows up as two separate fonts. Better two than none.

Maybe Thomas or Dov could shed some light on the possible considerations.

Thomas? Dov?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2011 Sep 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if Thomas is willing to comment on Adobe policy, since he no longer works for them, and hasn't for a few years now (pre CS 5, certainly).

I was going to suggest that Adobe might offer the trials sans extras like fonts, then I realized that the last few years of trials have had a "buy it now" feature where you can purchase a serial number to make your trial a full copy. This means they really have to include the full package in the trial, since some of the trials are being converted to full copies.

I suspect that Adobe is not greatly concerned about trial fonts being available. The company seems to be making the bulk of its money on software, not fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov is also posting here, Don.

But one month has been too short to lure him into this thread, if anything can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe is not giving those fonts away.

If you decide not to purchase a license to an Adobe product after installing and using the trial, you have no legal right to use the font after the trial period is over.

Yes, the removal of those fonts was not accounted for but that doesn't change their legal status.

Unfortunately, there are two problems associated with killing the ability to use the fonts after the trial period is over:

(1)     We don't automatically uninstall the software after the trial period is over. We simply don't let you run it via the activation mechanism which blocks the execution. However, fonts are not involved in the activation mechanism (at least not currently) and as such, when the trial is over, the fonts are still installed and accessible by other programs. We would need to get the fonts into the activation mechanism somehow to be able to control their use when either a trial is over or the software is otherwise uninstalled!

(2)     Currently, the Adobe fonts are installed into the system fonts directory. We would need to be careful to keep track of whether the user already had licenses to such fonts prior to installing a trial of Adobe software and not mucking with their status afterwards.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines