• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typography Verbage

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typography. I'm not sure if that's the place to be looking I'm trying to list the differences between writing on paper and on a tablet and I think there's a word for when you press harder with a pencil and it make the width of the lettering or font wider. Is there a word for that that you know of?

I am trying to verbalize what writing gives you complete conrtol over in the moment. Some things that I have run across so far are kern and ligature. But I would welcome a list as I am trying to be comprehensive and don't know exactly where to start.

Thanks,

Timothy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Timothy,

There are books about such subjects, and you can search for Typography/Calligraphy/etc terms. In some cases you may find different wordings, sometimes covering overlapping/related concepts, to choose between or use together. It may be a good thing to include descriptions rather than just using words that others will have to look up.

With regard to the pressure, normally a more woolly description is used, something like: extra pressure is applied create the bolder/thicker/broader (parts of) (letter) strokes, and lighter pressure is applied to create the finer/thinner/narrower parts. It is worth mentioning that this may apply to pens, brushes, and (to a lesser extent) pencils (which may break before a notable increase of stroke width), as well as to tablet styluses with pressure sensitivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines