• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to install Type 1 fonts in Windows XP

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2008 Aug 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems loading Type 1 fonts into Windows XP. I loaded ATM 4.1 light and get the following error message when trying to load the fonts through it: 'Cannot activate font <fontname>. The font files are invalid.'<br /><br />I've removed ATM 4.1 from my computer and ran the ATM 4.1 light updater to fix the registry problem, but now get the following error message when trying to load the fonts through the windows font folder: 'Unable to install the <fontname> font. File "D:\fontname___.pfm is either invalid or damaged"' <br /><br />So I'm thinking that the registry is not completely fixed as it seems the .pfm files are not being associated properly. I've tried re installing windows and that did nothing. I would really prefer not to have to re format the hard drive and start from scratch as I already had to do that with this brand new Dell laptop due to issues with MS Office. I guess that's my worst case scenario. I also have Adobe Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, and Acrobat Pro 8.0 on the computer. I don't think any of those would be causing my problems, but I mention it in case might. <br /><br />Does anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this problem? Thanks, Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2008 Aug 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary....you da man! Needless to say when I rolled back to an earlier driver everything works fine. When I first went to Dell to get the drivers I entered my service tag number rather than looking for them by the computer model. Via the service tag I only got one driver to download (ver. A06). From the link Gary sent I go the four he found. All of them worked fine so I went with the latest version (A05). Without your recommending I try a different video driver I would still be baffled b this. Thanks Gary!

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2008 Aug 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, I'm glad we all found a resolution (and who knows, maybe Adobe will add an item to their "partner certification" check list).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2008 Aug 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2008 Aug 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for working this out. It helped me with the same problem on a Dell Precision M70 laptop on which the IT people installed a new operating system after a crash (XP). I went to the Dell Drivers site you indicated, navigated to the M70 video drivers, downloaded the old one there (2006), and installed it.

After running the driver's .exe install program, I also had to 'roll back' (rather than 'update') the driver using the display tools in the control panel.

Now my Type 1 fonts install without a .pfm error, and I'm able to complete the projects I was half-way through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2008 Sep 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm.....guys i've read through the post, so it seems like the solution is to roll back to an older driver. but i just bought my laptop recently and it comes with a nVidia 9200m GS. It's a really new model, the nvidia sites doesnt provide the drivers, and there's no old drivers to roll back!

any ideas how to solve this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2008 Sep 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe reducing video acceleration...worth a try.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reducing video acceleration... how do i do that? in the nVidia panel?

and i'm starting to think it might be a SP3 issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2008 Sep 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desktop
Right click
Properties
Settings
Advanced
Troubleshoot

You should see a slider. You can reduce acceleration, or disable it
completely. Worth a try, it often works around bugs in video drivers
(at a cost in performance; if it is off, you may as well have the
cheapest generic card).

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAMSUNG R460

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2008 Sep 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to check windows update (using the custom rather than express option) to see if there have been any MS WHQL drivers released for the card. I took a look at the HP site to see if they had any drivers for this chipset (since Samsung didn't), but no luck.

You might be stuck for a while, but such is life on the bleeding edge...

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2008 Sep 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no luck at all with both suggestions.
the search for truth goes on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2008 Sep 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you already confirmed that you can add Type 1 fonts in VGA mode? (Hit F8 as your computer starts up to chose that start option, it will be ugly, but it will confirm the issue is video).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2008 Sep 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have confirmed that the fonts install without problem after i uninstall the video drivers.

once the video drivers are installed again, the problem comes back.

as of today, i still havent found any way to solve this problem....help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this problem really requires some coordination between Microsoft and your video card manufacturer. Adobe is not involved in providing the software for installation of Type 1 fonts.

What I do suspect, though, is that the video driver is somehow trying to accelerate the rendering of fonts, but only supports TrueType, and in the process of intercepting the font rendering is somehow shutting down full system support of Type 1.

Anyway, contact both Microsoft and your video card supplier (and if the video card was bundled with your computer, your computer manufacturer). This is truly a high severity bug on the part of one or more of them.

Sorry, but Adobe can't assist with this.

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Dov.
i just wanted to arouse attention to this bug because it is affecting a lot of people yet there's still no solution.
i am so stuck that i'm planning to do sell this laptop and buy another one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, did you contact the PC/video card manufacturer yet?

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went to Samsung's site and found that they have a video driver
update for your R460. The driver file date is 6/21/2008

There are updated graphics drivers for both Windows XP and Vista here:

http://snipurl.com/3tyu8 [www_samsung_com]
That's a shortcut to this long url
http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/download/supportDown.do?group=computersperipherals&type=notebook&subtype=rseries&model_nm=NP-R460&disp_nm=R460-AS03&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=DR&vType=R&prd_ia_cd=

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, it is atmfd.dll that handles the type 1 fonts, and Adobe is listed as the manufacturer of this dll even though it is part of the windows OS. Unless Adobe has entirely turned over the development of atmfd.dll to MS but left their name on it (which is unlikely, I suspect there is a partnership development agreement somewhere and that someone in some cubible somewhere in San Jose still has a hand in this code). And, atmfd.dll was updated with SP2 for win2k3 (probably XP as well). Clearly some coordination amongst all three companies would be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since Windows 2000, it has been fully maintained by Microsoft. No one in San Jose (or any other Adobe location) still "has a hand in this code."

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unfortunate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov is correct. I am quite certain that nobody at Adobe did any updates to that code for Windows 2003 SP2.... Also, it's likely there were no significant updates by MS, either: it may have just gone through a newer compiler or something.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nonetheless, given the symptoms, it is entirely likely that the module cited is not at all involved. Again, you need to contact Microsoft and the video driver supplier.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings everyone...I am sure glad I came across this post. This has been very informative and helpful and I was able to diagnose exactly what is going on with my Adobe Font Folio fonts after a new computer purchase.

I'm having the same issue as you all...damned if I thought a new laptop was going to give me LESS problems =)

Here's my info:
Dell Latitude E6500
Windows XPSP3
nVidia Quadro NVS160M

I'm experiencing the same issues/symptoms as the rest of you...Type 1 fonts won't preview/activate in Suitcase, the Windows System Fonts folder, or a variety of other applications I attempted (I originally was thinking this was software-related).

I'm on hold now, waiting to speak to a Dell Tech Support Person and will let you all know what, if anything I can find out.

IMO, this is ridiculous that nVidia/Dell/whoever made an oversight of this magnitude...my workflow is at a standstill right now until I a.) fix the problem, b.) use my old machine, or c.) scrap everything and buy something new.

-ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***UPDATE on my process***
The Dell support tech I spoke with was very informative and appreciative of this problem. While they do not have anything relating to this issue in their knowledgebase, he is going to give this a serious look. I expect to hear back from Dell later today.

While waiting, I wanted to try something. I installed a dual boot with Vista Business running. After initial tests, it looks like the different nVidia drivers made for Vista fix this problem. I'm going to continue to test this in Vista before I do a full-blown wipe + reinstall, but things are looking up so far!

-ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines