• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to install Type 1 fonts in Windows XP

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2008 Aug 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems loading Type 1 fonts into Windows XP. I loaded ATM 4.1 light and get the following error message when trying to load the fonts through it: 'Cannot activate font <fontname>. The font files are invalid.'<br /><br />I've removed ATM 4.1 from my computer and ran the ATM 4.1 light updater to fix the registry problem, but now get the following error message when trying to load the fonts through the windows font folder: 'Unable to install the <fontname> font. File "D:\fontname___.pfm is either invalid or damaged"' <br /><br />So I'm thinking that the registry is not completely fixed as it seems the .pfm files are not being associated properly. I've tried re installing windows and that did nothing. I would really prefer not to have to re format the hard drive and start from scratch as I already had to do that with this brand new Dell laptop due to issues with MS Office. I guess that's my worst case scenario. I also have Adobe Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, and Acrobat Pro 8.0 on the computer. I don't think any of those would be causing my problems, but I mention it in case might. <br /><br />Does anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this problem? Thanks, Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 12, 2009 Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yay John!

For what it's worth, I have now provided a lengthy explanation of ALL FOUR of the reasons I know for a complete inability to install any/all OpenType .otf and "PostScript" Type 1 fonts on Windows, in a blog post here:

http://www.thomasphinney.com/2008/12/19/no-font-install

(currently hosted on WordPress.com, but I recommend linking the above permanent URL instead)

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2009 Jan 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to let everyone know that this fix (#65) also applies to ATI video cards because that just fixed the OTF problem for me as well. Running Windows XP x64 with 8 gigabytes of ram. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2009 Jan 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked. And thank you for adding additional valuable information!

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 15, 2009 Jan 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll update my blog post to note that the problem is not specific to Nvidia, thanks!

Side note: 8 GB of RAM? That's gotta be expensive... I was just looking up memory prices for my HP HDX18t laptop. There are two slots, and a 2 GB module is $40 or $50, but a 4 GB module is $340. Ouch. I am reminded of why I decided to get it with 2x2= 4 GB total RAM.

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toby: Would you mind (for a very non-technical user) providing a step-by-step instruction on what exactly you did? I have your exact Dell laptop latitude 6500 running Windows XP Professional and same NVidia Quadro NVA 160M.

Thanks!

Alice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2009 Feb 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the registry fix #65 also worked for me, XPhome 32bit OS and an ATI Fire GL 5600 pro video card.
Many thanks indeed, saved what could have been a major problem at the start of a PC build, inability to progress any further with the build without fonts !

Whilst here on a thread fcastro may come back to, I shall ask, you mention 64bit XP, wiki says installer for ATM doesnt work on 64bit, what are the steps to resolving this, or what Font manager do you run ?

Envirographics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2009 Feb 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just experienced the same issue on the lenovo T61. Thank you so much for post #65!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> > the registry fix #65

I have nVidia card (8600GTS), though the (WinXP SP3) PC is DIY, and I noticed some odd behaviour with T1 fonts after I updated the vid card driver but didn't connect the two until I read this thread.

I arrived at this thread like lots of others who were trying to install a Type1 font and kept getting the "invalid or corrupt" error, which was clearly false. I know I was installing from an ancient 1993(?) 720KB floppy, but the disk checked OK on every other count.

I amended the registry as per post #63 but it didn't seem to work, but I was able to install the T1 fonts in safe mode.

So a big thank you to all you guys, and I now have some rather old T1 fonts installed and all is well with an old InDesign publication.

Diolch yn fawr!

Iechyd da! John
22:36 26/03/2009 GMT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2009 Jul 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running XP 64 Bit on an Asus P5Q Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 8400, 8 GB of memory with an ATI 4670 video card, latest drivers.

I've been unable to install (legal) Type 1 fonts from Adobe & Letterhead.

I used the registry hack in detailed in Reply # 65

Letterhead fonts lists a hack here:

http://www.letterheadfonts.com/news/index.php?a=blog&id=92

The hack worked for me.

Thanks to all those that have posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines