• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Utopia with true small caps on italic versions

New Here ,
May 27, 2008 May 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Utopia is a wonderful typeface, as Slimbach's use to be. But there is just a standard version so far. And this version does not have true small caps included in their italic versions.

The texts I primarily work with are law-related, with dozens of accronymous, many numbers related to laws, dates and sections. So, true small caps are mandatory. Oldstyle numeration and case-related punctuation are also desirable. I really cannot understand why a family is made with SC just on non-italic versions.

Does anybody would suggest a similar typeface with a complete set of small caps? I made a research and found some near what I'm looking for: FF Meta Serif, OurType Fresco Serif, Type-Together Karmina. Scala Pro and Proforma are also interesting.

Anyway, I'd prefer to purchase an Utopia Pro... if there were one! No other contemporary typeface has a so clear, regular color as Utopia.

Besides this, I'd like to see an improved kerning in a future Utopia Pro. Some pairs (like BA, DI, AC, AÇ, 11 and 00) are poorly kerned. Maybe Adobe could made us a good surprise some day.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 27, 2008 May 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about Kepler Std?, seems to have Italic Small Caps and from the same hand as Utopia!

Cheers
Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2008 May 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kepler is another outstand Slimbach's, but I see it as very much old-fashioned for the project I'm developing. Anyway, it's a very good indication and I got somewhat surprised not to see Kepler used in a larger way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2008 May 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
How about Warnock? Chaparral and Minion also have true small caps in itals, and Minion would be very nice for legal text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines