• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video game License restrictions

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, I am trying to find out the restrictions for Adobe fonts displayed in commercial video games. Specifically, I am looking to use converted bitmap images to display text on screen and not including the true type or open type format directly on the given platform.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Will the standard purchase agreement from Adobe grant this type of usage?

Thanks,
Chad Pfarr

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chad,

I'm not an attorney and I don't have a copy of typical font licenses from Adobe (and there are different versions). But I believe that I would not be too far off in saying that if you use an image of the characters, or embed the characters in such a way that they cannot be extracted or repurposed (much like an Acrobat document), you'd be OK.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 06, 2008 Sep 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that usage would be fine under the standard Adobe font EULA.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2008 Sep 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be shaky ground if the bitmap images were single
characters and painted a character at a time as if they were a font:
to me this sounds like a converted font.

If the fonts are pre-used to make text to form part of images, that
would be quite different.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2008 Sep 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input, I have found that each foundry has very different usage guidelines and that half of them need a separate license when used with generated type (as in having a virtual keyboard that allows for a user to type in a string)from a bitmap array. Does anybody know if there are overarching legal guidelines for the type industry?
-chad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2008 Sep 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
For better or for worse, there are no such "overarching legal guidelines" for the type industry as a whole except that you need to read the licenses for any and each font foundry and in many cases, each font from same to ascertain that you are in compliance with the terms thereof.

In the case of all fonts licensed from Adobe, you are certainly OK in using those fonts as you described.

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines