article now.

Any suggestions for companion fonts?
Thanks!
Bryan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2008 Aug 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bryan,

You're right in not wanting to use another script -- multiple script fonts in one document often do not play well together.

I would choose from some of the well-crafted, lighter weight serif fonts that look like they have roots in calligraphy. A few that come to mind include Brioso, Stempel Garamond, Galliard, or Palatino.

For a different, more modern feel, you can choose sans serifs, such as Futura, Myriad or Eras.

The important thing is to keep this other type from overwhelming Zapfino. Use lighter weights, conservative fonts. Keep it airy by adding a lot of leading. Use sizes and weights that contrast with the Zapfino without overwhelming it. Explore the alternate characters that are available with Zapfino and craft each word. Let the Zapfino stand on its own as a design element.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a sample from the Linotype website using Rotis Sans Serif with
Zapfino:

http://www.linotype.com/1499/magazines.html?PHPSESSID=11504d8bbab695ce483ff09a23f9bab8#16856

In their pdf, "Tips for using the Zapfino type family"
(ZapfinoTips_e.pdf) they use OptimaNovaLT for descriptions and captions.

http://download.linotype.com/free/howtouse/ZapfinoTips_e.pdf

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herb,

That second link would be most useful to a new Zapfino user. Thanks!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of the more general discussion there would apply to Bickham
Script and other elaborate script fonts as well.

- Herb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2008 Aug 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all! You guys have been very helpful!

Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I agree whole-heartedly with Neil's serifed recommendations, if you're going to pair it with a sans serif I think Zapfino's humanist nature really calls for something more like Myriad, Gill Sans, or Frutiger. Rotis Sans and Futura would not make my list: too rational and constructed to go with Zapfino.

You could probably pair Bickham Script with Rotis or maybe even Futura, though. It would also work nicely with Kepler, I think.

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas,

I generally shoot from the hip with font combinations, judging by eye rather than rule -- so I probably am breaking a few of them along the way. :-)

I do think that Gill Sans would be a wonderful choice.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The language of the text to be set can have a determining impact on the choice of a companion typeface to Zapfino.

If I were setting German text, I would never pair Zapfino with Rotis. I can't fathom what Linotype was thinking when they put up that sample on their site. For example, the German Es-Zet glyph (German double s) follows drastically different and clashing (as in mutually exclusive, incompatible) design and construction philosophies for that character.

Myriad would work better in regard to that one glyph, although comparing the qualities of sans serif faces always strikes me as akin to debating the comparative merits of different type of enemas. :/

(Yes, I know, like enemas, sans serif faces also have their place.)

I would also want to know the texture, weight and color of the paper to be used, the nature of the text, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is, of course, another consideration: the message being conveyed. What or who is being represented by the text, who is the audience, what kind of mood or emotion the author is trying to convey...

The fonts used should reinforce this, and not be chosen merely because their design or construction is attractive.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That's exactly what I had in mind in the last paragraph of my previous post:

I would also want to know the texture, weight and color of the paper to be used, the nature of the text, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines