• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What type of Fonts are compatible between Mac and PC?

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2008 Apr 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all:
I work in InDesign primarily from a Windows based PC. I occasionally do some work on a Mac as well. I have a mixture of font type I use (TTF, OpenType etc) on my PC. I know a lot of font types are not compatible between PC and Mac. My questions is, are OpenType fonts compatible with Mac?

What suggestions would you give to people working on two platforms as to how to best manage their font library (short of buying two versions of the same fonts)?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2008 Apr 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
OpenType and Windows TrueType fonts are usable on both Windows and MacOS X. Windows Type 1 fonts can be used with Adobe applications on both Windows and MacOX X (although on the Macintosh, the Windows Type 1 fonts must be put into the Creative Suite's private font directory).

Macintosh Type 1 and TrueType fonts cannot be used on Windows systems under any condition.

Going forward, for cross-platform compatibility, at Adobe we would strongly recommend exclusive use of OpenType fonts, thus avoiding the need for purchasing more than one version of any font.

- Dov
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines