• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What typfaces are there that I can use varied weights for East Asian Characters?

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am at a dead end trying to find a typeface which is not a script, which offers me more than one stroke weight for Traditional Chinese and South Korean characters. I need a typeface which will compliment Helvetica.

Please help!

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help you with Korean.  As for Chinese, the system fonts for Windows and the Chinese fonts bundled with some Adobe products come in a single weight, as you already know.  However, some of the Japanese fonts bundled with InDesign come in multiple weights: various weights of Kozuka Pro _might_ work for traditional Chinese, though some forms occur only in Japanese.

Character set is a big deal, and Chinese fonts vary significantly in the number of characters they contain.  Typically, you get more characters in standard weights (i.e.,  "regular" or "light").  Note, too, that authors frequently use Windows system fonts for Chinese (MingLiU or PMingLiU). These happen to have very large character sets, meaning they contain many variant forms that are not available in most fonts; inevitably, authors use some of these variants and they show up missing in the weight you need.

Dynafont and Arphic packages are pretty well regarded, and included a variety of weights in some styles -- but watch out for character-set issues.  I can't recommend a source since the one I used disappeared.

Good luck!

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi David,

Thank you for your advice.

Kind regards

James S. Waring

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines