Where did my fonts come from?

New Here ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work as the IT guy for a local newspaper.  I have a folder called Fonts on the server left by a previous IT person that looks like a compilation from various sources.  I have been able to find no documentation on the origination of that folder.  One of the fonts included is Adobe's Utopia which we use for one of our publications.  We are switching to a new software platform and so I need to find out if I've got a legal right to install the font into the new platform or if I've got to make a license purchase.Screen shot 2013-05-28 at 2.09.19 PM.png

Unfortunately I haven't been able to determine any information about other than the information on the screen shot above.  The creation date on the Utopia file itself is 6/9/99.  The most baffling thing is the version, 1.002 which doesn't seem to match anything I can find on the Adobe website.  If anyone can help me match the font to its original product(s) it would be a great help.  Especially since there are dozens of adobe fonts in the same folder.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you have is the PostScript Type 1 version of Utopia. As far as I could tell this version of the fonts was never bundled with any Adobe sofware. To get a license someone would have had to purchase a font package.

If you need to purchase a license for these fonts you can still do it at,

Utopia

Utopia Expert

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A package makes sense based on the number of fonts in the folder.  Any ideas on which package it was?  Adobe Originals, Font Folio, etc?  I'd really like to read the EULA if I can.  I'll probably end up purchasing a license just to be on the safe side, but if I can avoid spending money on something I already have license to use my boss will be happier.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It could have been Font Folio (up to version 9) or one of the individual family packages as shown in the image below.

IMAG0237.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines